JVC KW-Z1000W / 10" Floating display just installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The unit is adjustable for both height and depth. I had it adjusted so that it was just barely forward from the dash face. I never had any issues with the wireless CarPlay.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Looks fantastic, and congrats on the upgrade.

I too just recently had a new Kenwood Excelon Reference head unit installed.
I went with the DMX975XR as I didn't want to have such a large faced unit to contend with.

For me it was a matter of keeping it more concealed/not so obvious as thieves at a glance see an oversized aftermarket head unit and tend to gravitate on it for opportunity.

Regardless, were I to go with the floating head unit it would have been the Kenwood DMX1057XR. Who needs a NAV head unit when you have AndroidAuot/CarPlay ;)

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Everything I have read is that these days, bc jvc owns kenwood, they are basically the same units internally.
I don't disagree with this.
Just different esthetics/layout between the two brands for the most part.
Don't know if one uses slightly higher quality tech or not between the two brands and their model levels.

AustinAggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah I have also heard JVCs UIs are a mess.. feature packed but a mess. I mostly will use CarPlay, not too worried about the UI.

houserco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8
I am going to go ahead with the JVC.. will report back on the experience

I hate to kick a dead horse multiple times but got a great deal on a JVC but still curious to hear what you think and anything regarding install. I see iDatalink has their own dash install kit but it’s $149 vs $18 for the Scosche. Any takers?!

Jpowers076

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
Cummins
I hate to kick a dead horse multiple times but got a great deal on a JVC but still curious to hear what you think and anything regarding install. I see iDatalink has their own dash install kit but it’s $149 vs $18 for the Scosche. Any takers?!
I installed this in mine using the iDatalink Maestro and the iDatalink install kit. Everything was pretty straight forward but removing the 3 knobs from the factory bezel to intall in the iDatalink bezel was a PITA. Definitely the hardest part of the install. You will need a sawzall to cut out the original radio support (I also used a dremel to smooth out the areas I cut.

Overall I'm extremely happy with this head unit. I still need to wire up my camper but the 4 camera inputs was one of the main reasons I purchased this unit.

Key differences between the two kits are as follows:
* iDatalink kit includes the wiring harness, and antenna adapter vs. just the bezel
* Radio body mounts in the iDatalink kit are metal vs. plastic in the Scoche kit
* Multiple reviews on the Scoche bezel note that the buttons stick (hazard lights button); I have had no issues with the iDatalink version

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just installed this last night after work over 2.5 hours, more appropriately, I threw this together as I wouldn't have a free weekend for several weeks. This unit is awesome but I have couple of questions for you guys that did it.

I used iDatalink KIT-RAM1 dash install and wiring, iDatalink ACC-HU-KEN1 radio specific harness, iDatalink Maestro RR2, iDatalink SAT2 antenna adapter, SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner, and iDatalink ACC-USB-RAM USB port adapter.

* Since I was just doing things without thinking in a hurry, the instructions had me change the unit's screen position to the out or forward position - I am thinking it would definitely be best to go back to the back or inward position - is that how you guys have done it?
* Height I believe I can easily adjust on the go so no real issue there - Do I need to remove the screen from the headunit prior to adjusting height?
* I am using the specific JVC harness with the iDatalink t-harness, etc. - Do I still have to use the mic from JVC - wouldn't the Maestro use the trucks existing microphone or how does that work?
* I bought an adapter for the satellite tuner to use my factory antenna - were ya'll able to use ACC_NAV1 for the GPS antenna or must use JVCs?

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just installed this last night after work over 2.5 hours, more appropriately, I threw this together as I wouldn't have a free weekend for several weeks. This unit is awesome but I have couple of questions for you guys that did it.

I used iDatalink KIT-RAM1 dash install and wiring, iDatalink ACC-HU-KEN1 radio specific harness, iDatalink Maestro RR2, iDatalink SAT2 antenna adapter, SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner, and iDatalink ACC-USB-RAM USB port adapter.

* Since I was just doing things without thinking in a hurry, the instructions had me change the unit's screen position to the out or forward position - I am thinking it would definitely be best to go back to the back or inward position - is that how you guys have done it?
* Height I believe I can easily adjust on the go so no real issue there - Do I need to remove the screen from the headunit prior to adjusting height?
* I am using the specific JVC harness with the iDatalink t-harness, etc. - Do I still have to use the mic from JVC - wouldn't the Maestro use the trucks existing microphone or how does that work?
* I bought an adapter for the satellite tuner to use my factory antenna - were ya'll able to use ACC_NAV1 for the GPS antenna or must use JVCs?

Just in case anyone stumbles across this, here is what I found:

*Positioning: I ended up moving it back to the original inward projection and then sinking the unit about 5/16" deeper away from the dash kit to get it as recessed as possible. The big screen when the face of the din unit is flush with the dash kit still seems to project too far outward for my tastes.
*Height: I did NOT have to remove the screen from the unit to adjust height.
*Microphone: I am still having issues with this. I left the microphone plug disconnected per the Maestro instructions but I am having issues. If I initiate and say "Hey Siri" I can get audio controls to work but when Siri reads a message and awaits further instruction, Siri cannot hear me. I don't know if the system is using my phone's microphone for the initial Hey Siri and that is why that way works but I need to further troubleshoot as it is quite annoying to have to cancel the Siri command and start over with "Hey Siri"
*GPS Antenna: I ended up buying NAV1 but haven't used it yet. Before I received it, I plugged in the GPS antenna that came with the radio and stuck the antenna base to the top of the radio under the dash. It has been working okay-ish. I don't have much confidence in the factory GPS antenna necessarily though as my GPS in the factory radio stopped working about 1 year after buying the truck, first intermittently and then altogether just out of warranty. It would always show my position way off from actual, like hundreds of miles and I never used the factory navigation much anyway so never investigated further to see if it was a radio issue or a GPS antenna issue. I will update when I try the NAV1 adapter to factory GPS antenna.

NEW Question:
With this radio and screen mirroring, it supposedly only supports wired HDMI screen mirroring (lucky Android users can use wireless screen mirroring). Is there anyway to bypass the parking brake switch using the Maestro unit? If it was hard-wired in, it would be easy to bypass but with the unit receiving the parking brake signal from Maestro, it complicates things a bit. I am not wanting to personally watch anything while driving down the road but I often have my two kids in the back and wanted to play shows and stuff for their entertainment. The TV in the wife's explorer is a more permanent kit so it is not feasible to switch back and forth like we used to with the older TV we had and they're not in my truck often enough to justify purchasing TV(s) for the back seat.