bilstein 5100 shocks on Stock 2500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eh, that depends on what the tires are rated for. You don't always have to run max tire pressure when towing.
x2 on this. For the coopers I had on my truck at around 55ish psi (it's been a few years) they covered the rear axle weight rating of the truck. So in theory they never needed to have any higher psi then that unless the rear axle of the truck was overloaded. The year we did pull our camper around I did air them up to 70 just for peace of mind.

Usually most good tires you should be able to find a psi load chart from their manufacturer.

As for shocks I couldn't tell much of a difference going from 5100s to fox on the front of my 16 with thuren springs. I also don't offroad besides occasional jobsites, the gravel road we live on, and campgrounds but those are all low speeds. The previous owner had 2.5" spacers and shock relocation brackets with stock shocks. The 5100s were a big improvement over oem shocks with the brackets.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Had stock,had stupid "get out and adust your shock Ranchos",now on Bilstein.
*Bilstein is the way to go.*
***NEVER lower your tire pressure below max(printed on side of your tires) when towing that 8000 LBS...it'll heat those tires up quick and ......
Best get yourself a sway bar with 1250 on your tongue and bed load....make dang sure youre tires can handle the rear loading.

Air bladder will do you great justice for a level ride and handling but is a pain like Ranchos adjustables.
My truck has a sway bar from the factory. The MAX tire pressure is 80PSI but Ram says 65 on the door. When I took my last trip, outside temp was 50 and both the trailer tires and truck tires we just under 75 when I stopped at rest stop and that is with 65. Is it going to hurt (other then ride) running 80psi in the tires?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Had stock,had stupid "get out and adust your shock Ranchos",now on Bilstein.
*Bilstein is the way to go.*
***NEVER lower your tire pressure below max(printed on side of your tires) when towing that 8000 LBS...it'll heat those tires up quick and ......
Best get yourself a sway bar with 1250 on your tongue and bed load....make dang sure youre tires can handle the rear loading.

Air bladder will do you great justice for a level ride and handling but is a pain like Ranchos adjustables.
So little time, so few posts, so much bad information. Amazing.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My truck has a sway bar from the factory. The MAX tire pressure is 80PSI but Ram says 65 on the door. When I took my last trip, outside temp was 50 and both the trailer tires and truck tires we just under 75 when I stopped at rest stop and that is with 65. Is it going to hurt (other then ride) running 80psi in the tires?
Depends on what the rims are rated for. There's no real reason to run 80psi unless you just need it and the rims can handle it.

Mine say 80 psi on the door (and the tires), but rarely ever do I run them at a full 80 because my load doesn't require it.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Depends on what the rims are rated for. There's no real reason to run 80psi unless you just need it and the rims can handle it.

Mine say 80 psi on the door (and the tires), but rarely ever do I run them at a full 80 because my load doesn't require it.
I have the stock Laramie alum 18" rims. I know when I got the truck the dealer prep guy put 80 psi in them and the truck drove and handle like crap. I been towing and driving with it the last 2 years with the PSI set to the stock level. My issues started when the Shock blew and I had to put the aftermarket shock on.

Anyway, I ordered the set of 4 4600 and will use them as other have suggested.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have the stock Laramie alum 18" rims. I know when I got the truck the dealer prep guy put 80 psi in them and the truck drove and handle like crap. I been towing and driving with it the last 2 years with the PSI set to the stock level. My issues started when the Shock blew and I had to put the aftermarket shock on.

Anyway, I ordered the set of 4 4600 and will use them as other have suggested.
They come from the factory with 80 psi to keep them from flat spotting during transport. pPDI should have set them to your door sticker pressures but most dealerships miss that step.

Anything rides like crap with 80 psi. I run my 2500 with 45 front and 40 rear unloaded. I only air it up when loaded. If you check your tires inflation charts you will find 80 psi would be about 15000 pounds or one and a half times your gvw on most E tires.

https://tirepressure.com/lt275-70r18-tire-pressure

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You generally don't need the max rated tire pressure unless towing really heavy. An 8,000 lb. trailer and 1,250 lbs. tongue weight is not really that heavy. I have E rated 37's with a 65 psi max pressure on my truck and tow a few trailers that have between 1,000 - 1,700 tongue loads. Empty I run 35-40 psi in the rears and if I'm only going short distances on 55 mph or slower roads I don't even bother changing the tire psi. I running longer distances on 70 mph freeways I will bump them up to 50-55 psi....not that I feel they need that to handle the weight but it helps the swap and handling some.
I also have airbags on mine. Again, the truck will easily handle up to around 1,200 lb. tongue load (this is a PW, so softer than normal rear springs) and no issues for shorter distances on back roads. I do put 35 psi (the bags can go to 100 psi) if I get up to 1,000 lbs. tongue weight because it just feels more stable on the freeway, and maybe go up to 45 psi with 1,700 lb. tongue weight.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hey Guys

I have done a search but cannot find the answer I am looking for. I have a 2022 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L with stock suspension. I want to replace the shocks with bilstein 5100 because it seems the 4600 are stiff when not loaded. Will the 5100 fit stock suspension or is my only choice the 4600?
Go with Rancho 9000xl ... adjustable.

Also, get a steering stabilizer.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Go with Rancho 9000xl ... adjustable.

Also, get a steering stabilizer.
Already have Rancho, they are fine when not towing but once there is weight on the back they dont seem to be able to handle the weight. There is a reason they are a 1/3 the price.

Also my truck came from the factory with a steering stabilizer. I dont have a issue with the steering axle, its all in the rear.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Already have Rancho, they are fine when not towing but once there is weight on the back they dont seem to be able to handle the weight. There is a reason they are a 1/3 the price.

Also my truck came from the factory with a steering stabilizer. I dont have a issue with the steering axle, its all in the rear.
Not Rancho,
Rancho 9000XL adjustable.

Same to more than Bilstein.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

Stabilizer - you will feel the difference with a new one. The factory one sucks.