Buy new Ecodiesel After HPFP Fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyFisher99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are a few remaining Ecodiesels on So Calif dealer back lots, but are currently unsellable because of a fuel pump recall (since late April I think). From what I'm being told (sales people), it could be a couple weeks or many months before the "fix" is available the inventory can be sold.

Anyone have any more insight into the situation, and more importantly - would you consider grabbing one of these last trucks (once they are available for sale)?

Btw - I'm aware there have been an ongoing problems with the particular Bosch pump in this truck. The question is how big an assumption would I be making by buying one of these last trucks and expecting it to be reliable for many years?

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
There are a few remaining Ecodiesels on So Calif dealer back lots, but are currently unsellable because of a fuel pump recall (since late April I think). From what I'm being told (sales people), it could be a couple weeks or many months before the "fix" is available the inventory can be sold.

Anyone have any more insight into the situation, and more importantly - would you consider grabbing one of these last trucks (once they are available for sale)?

Btw - I'm aware there have been an ongoing problems with the particular Bosch pump in this truck. The question is how big an assumption would I be making by buying one of these last trucks and expecting it to be reliable for many years?

There's no get-well-plan yet for the HPFP recall...possible parts availability later this year from what I'm told by my local dealership. I bought mine about a month ago and had to sign a waiver because there's an open recall. That said, knowing this is a Gen3 Ecodiesel, I had no problems buying the truck. Almost all the horror stories you hear about with these motors are the Gen2 (2014-2018) and a significant number of parts were changed for the Gen3. The Gen3s are arguably more reliable BUT if you're still concerned, many recommend the GDE tune to improve reliability and efficiency. I don't have it (yet) so I can't comment on it, but on other Ram forums, there are a number of folks who have it and love it.

In the short time I've owned this, (please take with a grain of salt) I can say it's a great powertrain. I use the truck as my daily driver and have towed the camper with it already. This is my fourth Ram 1500 and probably my favorite. I love the Hemi, but this 3.0 is no slouch...plus the fuel economy is amazing (28 MPG combined & hand calc'd) and the oil changes are easier. From what I've read on the 3.0, you should be confident the Gen3 will be reliable for many years...just too bad they're discontinued after the 2023 model year. Hope this helps.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Despite ball the doom -n- gloom you hear people parrot about the CP4.2 HPFP. There is very few reported failures in the EcoDiesel, it's less than one percent.

cforce1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
My 2022 is currently sitting on a dealer service lot. Driving a loaner vehicle now and told maybe September/October but no clear date. That being said while I was able to drive it, it was the best truck I've owned (I've had fords and Toyotas previously). I would wait to see what the fix is just make sure its a suitable fix. Again, as far as the truck goes I love it, great value and a great truck, good fuel economy, good power everything. It might be a rare issue but it is a big one and can be pretty costly out of warranty. Thats the other thing I would look at is if they decide to offer a longer warranty for the affected fuel systems.

OP
OP
F

FlyFisher99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer just emailed, saying the Ecodiesel fix has been performed and trucks are now available for sale. Anyone know what the fix really is? He said several Bighorns are now available for $17k off MSRP. Sounds good, but I'm wary of truck that's been sitting for nearly a year and has now been "fixed".

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$17k off is a huge discount. Would almost be enough for me to consider it. Just remember, if you do buy one go ahead and get the extended warranty... bumper-to-bumper all the way out to 100,000 miles. That way you'll be covered no matter what happens.

As far as sitting on the lot for a year, don't let that bother you. I bought a leftover '22 Charger R/T in July of this year... build date 06/22. Figure in shipping time and the dealer had it for practically a year. Less popular models, or in this case models awaiting a "fix", will sit. It doesn't hurt them.

OP
OP
F

FlyFisher99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought one of the ecodiesel w the replaced HPFP. Paperwork included an info kit on the recall and new pump - basically saying to not use bio fuel greater than 20%. See pic.

BTW - got a Larame w the B equip group, MSRP $72k, purchase price $53k, out the door $60k (Calif taxes).
20231109_062001.jpg

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stay away from the Ecojoke, There's a reason they are getting rid of them.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer is offering similar discounts on gas 1500's.
Sure. High prices and stupid interest rates are killing demand. Reason none of the manufacturers freaked out over the union strike... dealer lots are overloaded with unsold vehicles. I bought a leftover 2022 Charger back in July that had been on the lot for practically a year. There are still more unsold '22s out there, and the 24's are already starting to arrive.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I bought one of the ecodiesel w the replaced HPFP. Paperwork included an info kit on the recall and new pump - basically saying to not use bio fuel greater than 20%. See pic.

BTW - got a Larame w the B equip group, MSRP $72k, purchase price $53k, out the door $60k (Calif taxes).
View attachment 531533

I saw one person who claimed the Bio limit once the update was done was 5% so glad to hear what that person posted is wrong being some states like MN have a B20 mandate most of the year. Also can you post a photo of where it states not to use more than 20% so the info it can be passed on to other diesel forums?

OP
OP
F

FlyFisher99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More precisely, it says to use no more than 5% bio diesel, unless you can't get it in your state. Then up to 20% is ok, but be sure to use it up within 30 days. Image of exact wording attached.

Attachments

• Ecodiesel HPFP addendum sticker.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
OP
OP
F

FlyFisher99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One more stipulation in the details of the HPFP addendum - if you use fuel with greater than 5% bio diesel (up to max of 20%), the oil and fuel filter change increment becomes 8,000 miles or 6 months (instead of the standard 10,000 miles or 12 months)

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
One more stipulation in the details of the HPFP addendum - if you use fuel with greater than 5% bio diesel (up to max of 20%), the oil and fuel filter change increment becomes 8,000 miles or 6 months (instead of the standard 10,000 miles or 12 months)
Wowzers... On the Cummins diesel the owners manual states when using B6-to B20 our oil & oil filter life is shorten from 12/15K to 12/12,500 miles... I double checked owners manual and saw nothing about fuel filter life being cut short o_O my self I would not let fuel or oil filters go longer than 12/10K if I was constantly burning B-20...