Rear sliding window switch smoking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesampm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011, 2016
Engine
Anyone else had the sliding window switch start smoking and stop working for them? Seems like this happens if the cabin gets very hot and once it cools down in the evening it started working again. I'm not sure if replacing the switch would resolve the issue, it seems more like an insulation issue around the switch/wires.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd be pulling that switch out and checking for bad connections. Anything "smoking" in your vehicle should be an immediate concern.
Nah that's totally normal lol.

OP
OP
J

jamesampm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011, 2016
Engine
Nah that's totally normal lol.

don't think I ever said it was normal... hence asking if someone else had the same situation, looking for a solution without having to take it in to the dealer. But hey, thanks for the insightful comment

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
don't think I ever said it was normal... hence asking if someone else had the same situation, looking for a solution without having to take it in to the dealer. But hey, thanks for the insightful comment
I was just messing with you. I would pull the fuse for it until you figure it out. You could burn the truck down real fast. Something is shorting for sure. Let me look and see if I can find the fuse for you. Mine is at the dealership currently for the T97 recall.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It looks like CB2 its a 25 amp.

CB2​
25​
Window/Door Lock Switch - Driver Side, Power Sliding Backlite Switch, Fuse: "19"

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Dunno if that switch activates a relay or not. I would be suspicious of a bad window motor or excessive drag on the motor as it runs.

Could well be a bad/dirty/corroded connection on the switch, especially if it is handling the drive motor current.

OP
OP
J

jamesampm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011, 2016
Engine
It looks like CB2 its a 25 amp.

CB2​
25​
Window/Door Lock Switch - Driver Side, Power Sliding Backlite Switch, Fuse: "19"
Thanks for the info, my profile only had one of our trucks listed and this is on the 2016. The fuse box is different and looking at diagrams online it doesn't list the slider window fuse.