truck don't like the cold weird issues "no codes"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickk212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2006 ram 1500 mega cab has been having some weird reset issues.

During the cold months when it gets below 40 degrees my truck does a complete reset. It acts like I disconnected the battery for hours. It resets my clock and it messes with the transmission. the transmission acts like it has no idea how to shifts as it shifts it lurches back and forth doesn't matter what gear. I could be in fifth and let off the gas a little bit to slow down than press the gas and it has a stroke trying to shift into 6th(this applies to all gears not just these two). I'm in the process of swopping out my batter terminals and my ground, but with no code or anything I have no idea what I'm looking for. Now before anyone says take it to a mechanic I have. They checked the transmission they checked the engine running on a cylinders. They cleaned out the throttle body said it looked like a bird set up shop. I'm at a loss for this and don't know what to do. TIA

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2006 ram 1500 mega cab has been having some weird reset issues.

During the cold months when it gets below 40 degrees my truck does a complete reset. It acts like I disconnected the battery for hours. It resets my clock and it messes with the transmission. the transmission acts like it has no idea how to shifts as it shifts it lurches back and forth doesn't matter what gear. I could be in fifth and let off the gas a little bit to slow down than press the gas and it has a stroke trying to shift into 6th(this applies to all gears not just these two). I'm in the process of swopping out my batter terminals and my ground, but with no code or anything I have no idea what I'm looking for. Now before anyone says take it to a mechanic I have. They checked the transmission they checked the engine running on a cylinders. They cleaned out the throttle body said it looked like a bird set up shop. I'm at a loss for this and don't know what to do. TIA

Hi Rick, welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

1) What is the mileage and history of the truck?
2) Does everything function properly and without exception in the warmer weather?
3) Do you experience any other electrical type anomalies or irregularities?
4) How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If it does function correctly with warmer weather, I would be looking at all the common grounds and refurbishing them if necessary.

A flakey ground will cause havoc with the electronics and possibly the transmission functions.

OP
OP
R

rickk212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1) The truck is like 194000 miles. the history of the truck is that it was a farmers truck and that's all I know.
2) I do not have any resets during the warmer weather. I'm tracking this by leaving the date on the radio screen as January and the date is the time its been since last reset. I believe it has been 6 days now since last reset. The only thing still happening is the shift stutters.
3) I was reminded a bit ago that sometimes when I'm running my ac/heater if I'm not moving after 10-20 minutes the truck just dies. out of the blue just dies. If I'm sitting in a drive through no ac running 20-30 minutes it just dies restarts just fine.
4) since October 2023

pertaining to your suggestion that is probably my best start. replacing battery ground and terminals to the battery.

OP
OP
R

rickk212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi Rick, View attachment 541181 to Ram Forum. :cool:

1) What is the mileage and history of the truck?
2) Does everything function properly and without exception in the warmer weather?
3) Do you experience any other electrical type anomalies or irregularities?
4) How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If it does function correctly with warmer weather, I would be looking at all the common grounds and refurbishing them if necessary.

A flakey ground will cause havoc with the electronics and possibly the transmission functions.

1) The truck is like 194000 miles. the history of the truck is that it was a farmers truck and that's all I know.
2) I do not have any resets during the warmer weather. I'm tracking this by leaving the date on the radio screen as January and the date is the time its been since last reset. I believe it has been 6 days now since last reset. The only thing still happening is the shift stutters.
3) I was reminded a bit ago that sometimes when I'm running my ac/heater if I'm not moving after 10-20 minutes the truck just dies. out of the blue just dies. If I'm sitting in a drive through no ac running 20-30 minutes it just dies restarts just fine.
4) since October 2023

pertaining to your suggestion that is probably my best start. replacing battery ground and terminals to the battery.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, just for clarification, from your point of view, the electrical irregularities are definitely temperature-related; however, the tranny issue remains and may have nothing to do with the electrical issue?

Do you see the tranny issue at any temperature?

Unless they both happen together or during the same conditions, they might be 2 separate issues.

I looked for a gen 3 list of common grounds in the forum and in a pdf service manual but was unsuccessful.

I scanned the first 5 pages of both the General discussions thread and the Tech Thread here. Keep digging and you may find exactly what you need to locate the common grounds.

The 2008 manual posted here by Ian should apply to your truck. Download onto a PC and use control F for the word search. I tried ground and didn't get too many hits.

As for the tranny irregularities, at that mileage, it's time for a filter & fluid exchange. FCA calls it a lifetime fluid, nobody in their right mind will believe in such a magic fluid. There are several threads on the process to DIY or you could find a trustworthy tranny shop.

If you choose to pay someone to complete the work, I would recommend buying the parts and ATF yourself. Many prefer Valvoline Maxlife for the ATF because the Mopar Unicorn oil is stupidly expensive. :cool:

There are many aftermarket oil pan/filter replacement solutions and ATFs for you to consider. Search the forum for 'gen 3 transmission fluid replacement'. You could use the search icon in the upper right corner or your favourite search engine and include 'gen 3 transmission fluid replacement ramforum.com'.

OP
OP
R

rickk212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
OK, just for clarification, from your point of view, the electrical irregularities are definitely temperature-related; however, the tranny issue remains and may have nothing to do with the electrical issue?

Do you see the tranny issue at any temperature?

Unless they both happen together or during the same conditions, they might be 2 separate issues.

I looked for a gen 3 list of common grounds in the forum and in a pdf service manual but was unsuccessful.

I scanned the first 5 pages of both the General discussions thread and the Tech Thread here. Keep digging and you may find exactly what you need to locate the common grounds.

The 2008 manual posted here by Ian should apply to your truck. Download onto a PC and use control F for the word search. I tried ground and didn't get too many hits.

As for the tranny irregularities, at that mileage, it's time for a filter & fluid exchange. FCA calls it a lifetime fluid, nobody in their right mind will believe in such a magic fluid. There are several threads on the process to DIY or you could find a trustworthy tranny shop.

If you choose to pay someone to complete the work, I would recommend buying the parts and ATF yourself. Many prefer Valvoline Maxlife for the ATF because the Mopar Unicorn oil is stupidly expensive. :cool:

There are many aftermarket oil pan/filter replacement solutions and ATFs for you to consider. Search the forum for 'gen 3 transmission fluid replacement'. You could use the search icon in the upper right corner or your favourite search engine and include 'gen 3 transmission fluid replacement ramforum.com'.

The trans shifting issue happens for about a half an hour and than its fine with occasional hiccups. These issues all started at the same time it almost seems like the transmission is re-learning timing on shifts but i could be blowing smoke out my butt with the assumption on the transmission issue. thanks for your assistance!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you don't know the history, I'd start at the beginning.

Clean the battery posts & clamps, and apply a thin film of dielectric grease.
Load test the battery.
Measure the battery charge voltage at about 1300-1500 rpm, should be ~14-14.5 VDC.

You can also use a multimeter to test the battery ground lead and positive lead to the starter for an excessive voltage drop. If you see less than 500 mV of a drop on either, they're OK.

YouTube has videos on measuring a voltage drop. Both these tests must be performed under the load of starting and you will require assistance or test leads with alligator clips.

These battery post/clamp cleaners are dirt cheap and perfect for routine cleanings.

battery post cleaner.jpg

Harbour Freight often sells these load testers for about $20. The toaster-style tester is far more reliable than a digital tester and I've had mine for decades. :cool:

battery load tester.jpg

I trust that your truck has a 545RFE 5-speed tranny. If you search in the 3rd gen area, there should be a few threads on fluid/filter changes.

Last edited: