First the windows, then cruise now nothing!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nwa-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
I am about at my wits end... the basics 1993 D250 12v cummins 5 speed.

Symptoms...
Started with the Hvac and windows not working. I could bridge across and get them to work fine. Never found any breaks or shorts. Then the cruise control started acting funny, would cut in and out going down road some days would not work at all then stopped working all together. Finally a buddy borrowed it to pull a 5th wheel trailer as he pulled into its parking spot it died.

I have checked the fusible links all good except the one that feeds the solid red i dont believe its the link as there is no power before or after the link....

When you turn ignition NOTHING happens no dash lights, buzzing, warning light's etc when you turn to start zilch happens as well.

Been doing a lot of reading and I am thinking its either the ignitin switch itself, a bad relay or possibly a bad ecu?? How can i go through a process of elimination before i just start replacing parts! Thank you in advance!!!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the orange fusible link that goes to the red wire powers most of the stuff in the cab. the orange fusible link that goes to the pink wires power your heater and power window

OP
OP
N

Nwa-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
So it was the fusible links... partially. Replaced all of it with a fuse block. However in the process noticed a missing relay... anyone know what relay this is???
7925f4ab67339bf5860b0c2ced166e64.jpg

Its all the way back towards the firewall

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you may want to keep lots of fuses on you because i don't think a fuse block will really work very well in place of the fusable links

that is your obd1 computer port.

OP
OP
N

Nwa-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
Oh. Well learned something new!

Why wouldnt fuses work in place of a fusible link? Its all the same concept

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
fuses usually blow instantly when overloaded where fusible links don't.

I changed all my fuseable links on my 77 ramcharger a d my 1991 no power wagon and have never had a problem.

Last edited:

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
maybe you have got lucky so far. i personally wouldn't run them. on my 81 i got the newer style fusible links replacing the old ones. they work just like fuses and can easily be swapped out or bypassed but i also installed a power distribution center.
SLCxEwo7zpuYSETHv4GYo4dCnD5hkggJZwf_U=w479-h638-no.jpg

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
maybe you have got lucky so far. i personally wouldn't run them. on my 81 i got the newer style fusible links replacing the old ones. they work just like fuses and can easily be swapped out or bypassed but i also installed a power distribution center.
SLCxEwo7zpuYSETHv4GYo4dCnD5hkggJZwf_U=w479-h638-no.jpg
If you mean me getting lucky swapping them out to fuses, they have been in my Ramcharger for over 20 years, working perfectly, and in my truck for five years.