Transmission Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwb1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Im new here so hopefully im in the right forum. My 2006 ram 2500 diesel with automatic tranny feels like its slipping going from 1st to 2nd gear. Even when i manually shift it. It has 109,000 miles on it and tranny has never been serviced. Ive heard MANY stories of changing screen/filter and fluid on trannys with that many miles with no previous service and they didnt work when put back together. Is there any truth to that and is it just a chance i have to take?
Thanks

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum.

I'm a gasser so I don't know much about diesels, but I popped this over to the diesel section, so our diesel owners can help ya out.

chickenman_26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Changing fluid and filter won't harm anything, unless the filter is installed incorrectly. Check the service interval in your owners manual. It likely should have been done by now. What causes the problems you heard of is when folks get talked into a "transmission flush" using a flushing machine. Those things break loose any crud that's accumulated and quite often end up plugging a port in the valve body.
Check for low fluid level. Correct it if it's low. If it's okay, fluid and filter change along with a band adjustment is probably all it needs. FYI, use fluid that meets the specs in your manual.

Stu

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
You would be ok with changing the filter. I would not completly flush the trans, just replace the fluid that comes out when you drop the pan.

I would agree, check your fluid. Make sure the truck is running and the trans is up to operating temp. Throw the truck in neutral and put the E-brake on. Then you can check the level.

If you are low or when you drop the pan, I would only recommend using the ATF+4 from the dealership or Valvoline brand.

There are some shift solenoids or something along those lines that you can change while you have the pan off. Hopefully Schroeder or one of the other guys will get on here and let you know exactly, cause I am goin blank on them at the moment.

And BTW, welcome to the Forum!

OP
OP
D

dwb1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Thanks for the info guys!

Wvcoalminer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tranny problem

Hi I'm new this to I also am having problem I have a super chip on my with code reader wen I read code it says ecm/pcm controls sensor would this make the tranny slip on 2005 dodge cummins 5.9 with super chip cold air intake and 5 mbrp turbo back any help would be greatly appreciated