Truck down 1000 miles from home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
05 5.9 cummins 6 speed 3500 qclbdrw

Hey guys. I'm out of Washington state, right as I'm pulling into north Dakota I hear a pop and a hiss out of the front driver side of the truck. And lost all boost It's dark out, I looked quickly and didn't see a boot blown out or off (fml on that part) so I'm suspecting that pos plastic intercooler that everyone loves. I brought her into killdeer watching my egts like a hawk and got here fine. What I'm looking for is common failure locations. And if anyone is in the area with parts. I have tools and can replace it in my sleep, but will most likely need an intercooler. If there is one in the area that someone knows of that would be awesome. I have access to another truck that just can't leave the state to go on a parts run I just need to get back to Washington and I don't want to go through the passes without boost to keep my egts down as a slight hill would push me up over 1200 really quickly and easily. So if you know of common failure locations that I can check first and hopefully ID the failure quickly. Or know of parts in the area that would be appreciated. I'll update when I look under the hood in the morning

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It is the intercooler. Anyone know of one in the area?

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for the support. I think this is why I quit paying attention to this forum

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Probably not a lot of members here from Killdeer, dude.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the support. I think this is why I quit paying attention to this forum

I never commented on your question because I don't have an answer. I try not to comment or offer advice unless I am pretty certain that the answer is correct. Keep in mind that you posted on a forum, in a section where the most recent post was nearly a week ago. This forum is great for Ram's mainly 1500's. There is another forum that deals with Cummins that this question might be better suited for.

But seriously put your big boy pants on, do some searching online and make some calls.

Good luck with getting your intercooler, hopefully it doesn't take too long.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
See that's the thing, threads like this trend to get more people looking at it when there are a couple responses. Even if it's as simple as "oh man that sucks but sorry I got nothing" or someone doing a search for diesel shops and reviews on them and parts yards. When your 1000 miles from home you don't always have access to everything that makes it easy to do that. When you're sitting on a computer it's real easy to open a new tab and do searches. When your on the side of the road or parked somewhere with minimal assistance it isn't quite as easy. When I first started coming here years ago I know I would have gotten a response about "well hey I found a link to a small time diesel shop maybe they can help" or at least some "that sucks" responses which could have helped with readership of the thread. All I can say is I was very disimpressed