Is this sound normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Inked85x

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Express
Engine
3.6 v6
I was on my home last night and for some reason I turned the radio off. When I pulled in my driveway, I noticed this click sound from my shifter/dial going from reverse to park. So I played with it for a few minutes. It only makes the sound going from park to reverse or reverse to park. Is this normal? I never noticed it because I always have my radio on and listen to my music rather loud...even during my first test drive before I bought the truck. Everything seems normal mechanically. No problems going into gear or shifting etc. Any help would be great thanks. If the video wont play. Its just a loud click/grind sound. It sounds like it comes from behind the ignition where I put my keys.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Likely normal. Sounds like shift interlock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Normal, and it may not be adjusted right. Mine was abnormally loud, and they had to adjust it cuz it was loose

Like it sounded more like doors locking than the interlock engaging

ram_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yes its normal all the 8 speeds do it when going to to park.

OP
OP
Inked85x

Inked85x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
Good. Thanks guys. I checked with my Father in Law too. He has a 2014 hemi 1500 and his does the exact same thing. I just got worried cause it was the first time I heard it after having the truck for 2 weeks. Love the truck so far. I'm just a little paranoid because I came from a 2015 gmc canyon and that thing had a new problem every week from recalls to paint to just stuff breaking because of poor quality. The only other thing I noticed with the truck is that if its been sitting awhile. when I start it up. It takes about 3-5 minutes for the satellite radio to kick on. It comes up as "aquiring signal". Its not really a big deal though. The ipod hook up and regular radio works fine..I just assume its a weak signal from sirius.

russdog5681

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This new 8HP70 does take some getting used to...still find myself reaching for the non-existent shifting stalk every so often. Lol

Russ

OP
OP
Inked85x

Inked85x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
yea same here. Even after a couple weeks. I find myself getting out of the truck almost with it still in drive or reverse cause i'm not used to it.

OP
OP
Inked85x

Inked85x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
yea same here. Even after a couple weeks. I find myself getting out of the truck almost with it still in drive or reverse cause i'm not used to it.

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here I keep reaching for the shift arm instead of the dial .
Different but cool lol .
First day with my new truck but I have a feeling it'll be a hard habit to break .

OP
OP
Inked85x

Inked85x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
What I do like is if you shut the truck off and leave it another setting other than park, it'll recalibrate itself so it doesn't go anywhere..I just don't like doing that cause Im paranoid enough that something will break lol. The truck is awesome though. I dont know why I didn't get a dodge sooner. I wanted the "hot, new different" truck out there so thats why I went with a canyon back in febuary and I paid the price. Even for a V6 this Ram has great pick up and the gas mileage is insane for a big truck. I drive 20 minutes to work 4 days a week and do a bunch of running around on the weekends and I fill up every other week.

alorac79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my truck in Aug 2015 and noticed a quaking (yes, quacking, the service writer laughed too until he heard it) sound when I push the brake to go from park to reverse or drive at about 4K miles. Same sound going into park. The dealership told me what it was. They replaced the shift interlock and told me it was a characteristic of the part. I call bs on that being as it didn't quack when I bought it. In my opinion, if it didn't quack when I bought it, it shouldn't quack at all.

I bought a truck, not a duck.