Detailing: How to Claybar/Favorite Product

Favorite Clay bar Product

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2004 and noticeable swirls so my steps would be Mild Grit polish then cream polish then clay bar then wax?

No. Wash, clay, re wash or QD wipe, compound (if needed), polish, then wax.

TripleC5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just used clay bar last nght for the 1st time. (on my truck, and wife's car). I am very impressed at the difference in feel and appearance. I also used sealant and wax. It's like a new vehicle!

rablwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am still trying to get my mind around a clay bar. It seems that many are nearly obsessed with cleanliness of their microfiber towels and wash mits; i.g. two bucket wash, grit gards, quality of towels etc.

Yet, the clay is used to remove stuff. I assume that the stuff is impregnated into the clay. It seems to me that after a panel or two, you are just rubbing contaminated clay all over the rest of your truck. Wouldn't that cause scratches all over the place? How do you know when to replace your clay?

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am still trying to get my mind around a clay bar. It seems that many are nearly obsessed with cleanliness of their microfiber towels and wash mits; i.g. two bucket wash, grit gards, quality of towels etc.

Yet, the clay is used to remove stuff. I assume that the stuff is impregnated into the clay. It seems to me that after a panel or two, you are just rubbing contaminated clay all over the rest of your truck. Wouldn't that cause scratches all over the place? How do you know when to replace your clay?

The key to good clay bar is the lube. Make sure it's slick, when you slide the clay bar around and to make sure you fold the clay bar often (contaminated side to contaminated side).

I've used Meguiar's and Mother's and have never scratched paint yet (I clayed about 20 times on my old truck--haven't used it on my new truck, but I've only had her a week and I'm on my "busy" week at work).

The technique that I found that worked for me, was to grab a small chunk of clay (about the size of a Canadian toonie-- aprox 2"?) squish it to a pancake, thin enough to make it about 3-3.5" round, but not thin enough to see through it.

Then spray the panel you are working on and give the clay a light misting on one side. Then start claying--wet side down. Aprox 1/3 of the panel done, I fold the clay and squish it out to form a pancake (like folding a pizza in half, all the "topping" are facing each other on the inside) and continue on. If you start to feel ANY drag... STOP!!!! and add more lube.

Once I do one panel, I toss that chunk of clay and and get a new piece. I'm sure I'm burning though more clay then I could be, but a clay bar kit is about $20 and a new paint job is $$$$. I find that a bar of clay = one truck.

I hope that helps.

rablwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That makes since TSC, treat the clay bar as a one use, disposable item. Thanks.

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
If i dont order online, the meguiars does OK, but I do like Pinnacle's claybar

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Read about "Nano" towels. I think they work better than clay and are easier to use, at least for me. "autogeek" is a good reference source.
Jay

Jaded

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We use AutoScrub nanoskin on our buffer instead of a clay bar. SO MUCH faster and works better IME.

P.S. Sorry to revive an old thread, but in my defense it is pinned. LOL!

Harris342

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I used Meguires clay bar kit. It comes with everything you need and instructions are included. It helped me remove all of those "orange" spots on my white truck.

W_Lyles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the Brilliant Finish Synthetic Clay with the Speed Shine from Griot's Garage the other day. I was a little hesitant since I am used to the traditional clay bar but figured I would try it out. It worked flawlessly! The large foam pad was easy to hold and made claying go buy much quicker with the same result as traditional clay. The thing I like most is that you can rinse off the pad and keep on going for more uses without having all the grit and grime on your clay bar. 10/10 would buy again.

RPMdetailingAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is an alternative to clay bar, and that’s a clay towel. If you use a foam cannon to clean your car or truck, you can foam, wash with MF wash mitt, rinse, re foam then clay towel the vehicle using the soap as lube (I prefer chem guys honeydew)

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the Brilliant Finish Synthetic Clay with the Speed Shine from Griot's Garage the other day. I was a little hesitant since I am used to the traditional clay bar but figured I would try it out. It worked flawlessly! The large foam pad was easy to hold and made claying go buy much quicker with the same result as traditional clay. The thing I like most is that you can rinse off the pad and keep on going for more uses without having all the grit and grime on your clay bar. 10/10 would buy again.

Does that run on the 6" orbital?

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I just purchased the clay bar kit and ceramic sealer from chemical guys for my 19 Ram. I am hoping that it will help the truck stay nice for a few years as it is a black out edition Bighorn. I have black bike too so I am a glutton for punishment!

k-dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Well I took you guys advice and gave the clay bar a run. The results are amazing. my truck is not shiny, it sparkles. What is the best thing for the wheels? I seem to get a lot of brake dust build up, rather quickly. TIA

Keasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing beats the smooth surface of a freshly clayed auto. I know there are many clay bars and densities to choose from but the Megs, Mothers are great for 99%of you out there.
I buy mine from a detsil web site or Amazon in a larger tin.
To did right wash your vehicle with a good car wash soap not dish soap like Dawn,as that removes grease, which means it will strip your wax off too.
Rinse the car good then using that same car wash soap clay your auto. Psy attentention to your lower rocker panels as the clay will remove that road tar also. Clay your windsheild to remove wiper rubber smears, rear veiw mirrors all around to remove bugs etc.
Then rinse or rehash the auto. Dry and now your are ready to wax ,as you have a very clean base.
I do , a 3 step system of cleaner polish,polish, then a long lasting synthetic wax that lasts for months with just a wash and spray detailer to maintain the shine.

Njt07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 etorque
Just got a 2021 granite crystal night edition. Would you all recommend going straight to paint correction, ceramic with film on the bumpers?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Iron X first then wash then paint correction, including clay bar, if needed, then wipe down, then coating. If you're going to put the protective film on any surfaces do that before the coating. They make a special coating for the filmed surfaces.
Jay

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Use this. You will thank me later. It cuts down on so much time and scratches. Just make sure you keep the soap lubed up on the paint.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Use this. You will thank me later. It cuts down on so much time and scratches. Just make sure you keep the soap lubed up on the paint.

I would use this on glass but not the actual paint/clearcoat of a vehicle ... Real clay is always going to do the job better but I understand that people want something that is more simple and fast but like you said "make sure you keep the soap lubed up on the paint" ... Using these synthetic clay bars and towels is how inexperienced people ruin their paint jobs within minutes ....