HD Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Dealers can NO LONGER access the Body Control Module RF Hub to reset TPMS threshold settings.

Your options are to us AlphaOBD or an Autel tool.

Originally posted by Snake_Eyes.

Edited by SuperModerator.

Default settings for HD TPMS systems are quite high. Some owners report they cannot find a desired tire size that will accommodate the higher pressures so they must make a choice between wearing out their new tires prematurely or dealing with constant EVIC warnings, a Low Tire Pressure warning light and a rough riding truck.

There is a fix.

This has been confirmed to work on any 2014+ HD truck and on any model. You will have this done at a dealer per the instructions below. It is recommended you print them and take them with you. The technician should be able to change your settings and turn off the light.

Step 1: Go into the BCM (body control module). Go to "miscellaneous functions". Go to "update pressure thresholds". Set pressure to desired settings. Do not try to do different pressures front and back! Even if you run 10 psi difference front to back you won't get a light. If you plan to run 10 psi difference I suggest your "setting" be in the middle of the high and low just to give you a little cushion.

Step 2: Go into the RFH (radio frequency hub). Go to "miscellaneous functions". Perform "RFH replace" and follow prompts. You will need the PIN number for the truck. That can be obtained through Dealer Connect with the vin number to the truck. When following the prompts - when asked for desired pressure setting - set new pressure levels. You do not need to replace anything - just perform the function to set new levels.

Once the RFH replace function is done the light goes out and the truck will read new pressures after driving a short distance.

More Information on HD TPMS Reset Options

This information was originally started & gathered in the CumminsForum.com thread How to set TPMS to ANY pressure which is similar to this thread. It has 1700+ posts with info changing half way thru and much confusion. 4x4x4door created that thread to help clear up confusion and help as many as possible. Special thanks goes to Indytruckchampion(CF member) for creating that thread with the process and to articsilber323 for figuring out that the Autel Maxisys can do this since FCA removed the ability from the dealers. PLEASE read the common questions below before asking questions.

General info:
To fully adjust the TPMS you need the change the psi thresholds and update the RFH (Radio frequency hub).

Factory pressure settings are 60(Hemi) or 65(Cummins) front & 80 rear with a 20% threshold which means that the warnings (light, sounds & nag screen) will come on at 48(H) or 52(C) front & 64 rear. If that happens then you will have to air the tires to 60(H) or 65(C) front and/or 80 rear to make the warnings go away.

The PIN – You must have your PIN to fully adjust the TPMS system. There are 2 PIN numbers associated with your key and truck. Technically, there's a 3rd one too that's a rolling code (unknown digits) that expires. It is only used if you lose all your keys and it requires a call to Lord FCA to get. I believe this is where some dealers get confused and try to tell you that the 4-digit PIN will expire. I've not heard of anyone saying that theirs expired when they tried to use it. A few members have been charged a fee to get the code. This ridiculous and I’d find another dealer, but I realize some don't have that choice.
PIN #1: 4-digit code (all numbers) that is used to program the key (fobik) to the truck. This is the one you need for this process.
PIN #2: 5-digit code with a letter in front (ex. M0000) that is used to cut a new metal key.

It’s a good idea to get both codes as soon as you possibly can. Recently, some dealers have refused to give them out.

Devices:
Autel MaxiSys -- will adjust the psi settings and update the RFH (Radio frequency hub)
Launch X431 -- very similar to the Autel MaxiSys with possible same functionality
Matco Maxgo & Maxme -- supposed to be able to adjust the psi settings & update the RFH (Maximus should also)
AutoEnginuity software -- will only adjust the threshold psi settings (also custom tire sizes & enable fogs w/highs)
Witech (dealer) -- will only update the RFH, IF you can find a dealer that's willing do it
AEV ProCal -- only sold with their lift kits; will only adjust the psi settings (tire sizes & other settings)
Snap-on – no one has found that any of their devices can do this

Common questions:
Q: Can the dealer do this?
A: They cannot change the psi thresholds but they have the ability to update the RFH. Whether they or not is questionable.

Q: Is there someone near me that can do this?
A: ***HERE*** is a map that 4x4x4door created showing all known members that have a device. If there'e no one close enough to you, try contacting 4x4x4door or BPMPVET.

Q: Will this ‘change’ get removed if I get a flash update from the dealer or if I install a tune.
A: No

Q: Will this ‘change’ void my warranty.
A: First they have to prove that it caused a problem and how they gonna 'see' it? The Witech can't get to the settings but anything's possible.

Q: What model of Autel MaxiSys can do this?
A: The common model is MS906 but any MaxiSys model should have this ability excluding Dodge software version 7.5.1. The MaxiDAS cannot do this process and I doubt any MaxiTPMS will either.

Q: Can the Autel MaxiSys make other adjustments like larger tires or enable fogs w/highs?
A: It’s a very powerful diagnostic device but it can only adjustment to other factory tire sizes and cannot enable fogs w/highs.

Q: Where can I find the instructions do make the adjustments?
A: articsilber323 provided these in post #912 in the original thread. Some of the screens have changed slightly with the newer software versions but the process is generally the same.

Last edited:

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Just wanted to give credit to give credit where it is due...the fix was originally posted on the Cumminsforum and I was just fortunate enough to find it! :favorites13:

Tim Cope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Let me go ahead and give you a heads up on this so you don't wind up looking like a jerk like I did. When you get this done at your dealer and if they tell you that you will have to drive the truck 50-100 miles for the system to acquaint itself to the changes believe them.

I thought when they did it once the sensors read the pressure that the flashing would quit and the light in the dash should go off. I had mine reset to 50# all the way around. I had 55# in the front and 60# in the back. When the tech# brought my truck out it was still flashing 60# inflate to 50# and the light was on in the dash. He told me drive it about 50miles and it should all stop.

Well I drove it 50 miles and no changes. I was pretty pissed and thought I had been had. I took it back and they took it back. I had no more than set down in the lounge when the tech. came in and took me out in the service area and showed me on the laptop how he programmed it. He did it right to the T just like in the instructions above.

He said had has seen some take 100 miles before they acclimated themselves. He then told me that he would meet me around front with my truck. When he did I'll be dang if one of the sensors had quit flashing when he pulled up, the other quit shortly after that and the light went out. So give it all a little time after they program it in. Maybe you won't look like a dunce like I did. LOL

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's good info!!!

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just had this done by the dealer, set the threshold to 40psi and pressure to 50psi. Very noticeable improvement in ride quality over the 76 psi I was running prior. Dealer didn't ever change me for the work.

Thanks again for posting this info!

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah, my dealer didn't charge me either. In fact, the service writer and tech both said, "You were never here. We didn't see you today."

LOL

Tim Cope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine didn't mind charging me $49. But I didn't buy it there. For the difference in the ride I would gladly pay it again. It was money well spent.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Finally got mine in to do this and it works fantastic!

All the individual sensor fault lights went off, the TPMS low pressure warning light is off and the initial power up chime no longer is heard.

I had my minimum pressures set at 50 PSI, cold temp pressures are at 55 psi in each tire. I've noticed I'll get 3 - 4 psi growth as the tires heat up at speed. So that works for the 10% cushion.

Tim Cope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, that is about how much mine warms up also, and that is without a load. I am running nitrogen.

jled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thankful for this site and topic. bought brand new 2500 to be leveled w 35" and took info fom this thread to dealer. truck was prepped and programmed and i picked it up on way home from work tonight.

dash lifht still on and the screen shows that tires need be inflated to 50

howver they are all at 55 already

hope after few trips, miles, stops and starts mine clear like other who mentioned he had to drive it

im liking this 6.4 in my 2015 but miss my 2013 cummins a bit

its stupid that ram dropped/deleted the low load/load pressure button from dash of these trucks and crazy work around multiple program for dealer is required

hope mine settles out and it doesnt take multiple trips to shop get orange idiot light and individual red tire lights out on pressure screen

will see...

again thanks all yall for this thread

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Some folks have reported that they had to drive over 100 miles for their system to reset. Personally, mine was corrected before I even moved one foot.

The tech needs to understand he has to touch two areas of system in two modules...the BCM and the RFH.

You may want to re-visit this issue with your dealer, jled.

AJ_IOOF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for this info. This has been driving me nuts. Does anyone in AZ know of a friendly dealership with some balls that would do this? Airpark told me they could not do it due to regulations....

riverss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
my service dept at the local Ram house told me no also because of bla bla bla. so i made a phone call and just talked to the Ram customer service dept and i was told no problem to reset the TPMS and the person on the other end of the line put me on hold while they called the local service dept and now all of a sudden they will be glad to do the service. BTW there are no regulations that prohibit it from being done that i could find. do not take no for an answer.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Turning it off is a no no...correcting a known deficiency in the system is a yes yes in everyone's book.

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab
Engine
6.4l gas
TPMS warning light is not an issue with my 2016 Ram 3500.
I'm running my 37" tires with 42 psi in the rear and 47 psi in the front.
Monitor system shows those pressures and there is no warning lights.

riverss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
just got back from the Ram dealer and gave the service tech the printout on the procedure and wala job well done. set at 45 psi cold inflation press @ 50/55 psi and no lights/ chimes etc. no charge either for a job that should have been done during delivery service.

mandlbarrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was just told today by the Service Manager at my local Dodge dealer that they aren't allowed to adjust the TPMS settings. So I guess I have to live with it.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was just told today by the Service Manager at my local Dodge dealer that they aren't allowed to adjust the TPMS settings. So I guess I have to live with it.

Ya mine said the same last Saturday, they want change it cause it didn't come from Chrysler or some ****, I even had the service manager read all these post on the forum

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's a shame that the dealers are idiots and can't realize that running hot tire pressures at 85-90 psi on the rear all the time is bad. My tires drop to 70psi cold when sitting and the ones in the sun are at 78-79 psi. Start driving with a load and they are well into the 80's. So is Dodge/Ram ready for a lawsuit when they blow out causing a serious accident? Doubt it. Guess they're just gonna place the blame on Firestone and let the lawyers fight it out for years.

coolemoff1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine hasn't settled yet after around 500
Gotta take it back hopefully next week

Status
Not open for further replies.