Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Help! Just traded my 14 Ram 1500 for a 15 3500 duelie, i hooked up to my camper the other day and the brakes barely work on the trailer, everything was fine with the old truck, both have factory controllers and were set to light electric, i tried the heavy electric option but no luck, i used a voltmeter on the trailer plug on the truck and it only showed 10.5 volts fully applied, does anyone know what the voltage should be on these controllers?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You set the gain identical? To me they should be 12 volts but I'm just guessing.

OP
OP
K

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes everything the same and even turned up the gain

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Help! Just traded my 14 Ram 1500 for a 15 3500 duelie, i hooked up to my camper the other day and the brakes barely work on the trailer, everything was fine with the old truck, both have factory controllers and were set to light electric, i tried the heavy electric option but no luck, i used a voltmeter on the trailer plug on the truck and it only showed 10.5 volts fully applied, does anyone know what the voltage should be on these controllers?

Heavy electric for greater than 10K pounds (owners' manual). You should see close to 12 volts (engine running) and just under 6 amps for each trailer brake axle when the gain is at 10 (100%) and the trailer brake slide is moved all the way.

This is an issue seen by myself on my 2015 RAM 3500 and others. My tuck is currently in the shop having this issue looked at (I'm not getting the warm and fuzzy they understand the issue or how to diagnose). My 13K pound Montana pushed me into an intersection when I attempted a hard stop, sure glad the intersection was clear.

There is a discussion going on here about this issue. The thread got a little cloudy with folks not understand the differences between proportional and static braking. I've posted a scope trace of normal working and my 2015 ITBM outputs. No matter what I set, I can't get more than 63% (about 6.8 volts) output from my ITBM to the trailer brakes.

2013 integrated trailer brake control problem - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you my trailer is only 7000 lbs and i noticed it right away, i really dont know the difference in the type controllers but i dont understand why there would be a difference from my 2014 1500, i called the service dept at the dealer and he had no clue, i guess my next step is to bring the truck to the dealer :(

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anyone know if this is an issue across the board with the new 3500's? All I see so far are the DRW diesels reporting. Any news on the SRW's or gassers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Anyone know if this is an issue across the board with the new 3500's? All I see so far are the DRW diesels reporting. Any news on the SRW's or gassers?

The ITBM is the same for all RAMs. I have the issue with SRW.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Now you guys make me want to check mine out... I loved the one in my 1500 but I haven't messed with the one in my 2500.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Now you guys make me want to check mine out... I loved the one in my 1500 but I haven't messed with the one in my 2500.

I'd check it unless you want to find out about it like I did, having your 13,000 pound fiver push you into an intersection because you couldn't stop in time, it was a fast chaining traffic light (Van **** south bound at 34 mile). Fortunately the intersection was clear.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'd check it unless you want to find out about it like I did, having your 13,000 pound fiver push you into an intersection because you couldn't stop in time, it was a fast chaining traffic light (Van **** south bound at 34 mile). Fortunately the intersection was clear.
Look at the bright side, you weren't on 59!

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The ITBM is the same for all RAMs. I have the issue with SRW.
If the module's the same in all the trucks how come my 1500 set to 7.5 heavy eletric will lock my trailer's wheels at 5 mph while you get shoved into cross traffic? Sounds like some shady **** going on in the bits and bytes.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Look at the bright side, you weren't on 59!

Amen!

If the module's the same in all the trucks how come my 1500 set to 7.5 heavy eletric will lock my trailer's wheels at 5 mph while you get shoved into cross traffic? Sounds like some shady **** going on in the bits and bytes.

That is the question I'm trying to get answered, my 3500 is at the dealer now, should have it back with answers Monday.

I don't know if it is a faulty ITBM or a software calibration issues. I don't even know if all 2015s have the issue but I know I'm not the only one with this issue.

My biggest concern is they are going to tell me nothing is wrong and it is working as designed, the default babble when they don't know how to diagnose an issue.

I posted scope shots of the trailer brake line (in the cummins forum thread), one with a working ITBM and my 2015 tow vehicle, the scope shots clearly show my 2015 is only outputting 63% power to the trailer brakes.

Brake slider all the way pushed (100%), 100% output from ITBM 12.6 amps measured on the trailer brake wire.
100%20percent_zpscurxhkdl.jpg

Brake slider all the way pushed (100%), 63% output from ITBM 6.1 amps measured on the trailer brake wire.
60percent_zpsxymw53jh.jpg

Last edited:

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Read down the thread over there and a few other places as well. This, unfortunately, appears to be a not-so-isolated incident. Hope you get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the great info.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Hello Guys,

When I purchased my 12 2500 it was my first vehicle ever with factory brake controller. I did not think it was as adjustable(tunable to my load) as my 10 year old tenosha that I moved between 4 different trucks I had. The price for the factory controller is not worth the money they charge for it in my opinion.

When I traded that 2500 for my 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee ECO Diesel, I purchased the Jeep with the tow package and was both surprised and pissed off for the price I had to pay for the tow package and it did not have factory brake controller.

I purchased a prodigy p3 controller and installed it in the Jeep and man I am so glad I did not have the factory controller!!!

Your problem seem to be compaitability problem,electrical and programming.

The P3 is the best controller I have ever used!!
It is easily adjustable and tunable for trailer size and weight and it stores the settings for that trailer size, then when you switch trailer your settings are still there.
I have 2 trailers I tow 10k 7'6"x16' dual brake axles, and 3k 5x8 single brakes,with the push of 1 button I can select my trailers setups and quickly tune for current load.

If I was in your shoes to prove the point and save yourself some aggrivation with stealership and RAMS ******** trouble shooting abilities I would buy a brake controller and make it so you could quickly plug it in to show aholes at dealership who have no idea about towing and controllers the problems is definitely the factory controller and associated interconnections and programming.

Then I would make them pay for the controller you purchased and some money for your time and be happy with P3 and tell them to stick the factory controller where the sun don't shine!!

Dealing with RAM was not a good experience for me, thank goodness I have good dealer.

I got rid of my 2500 because nothing but problems with O2 sensors and dpf all other EPA **** on the Diesel choking it. I purchased this truck because it was last year before DEF fluid. My truck in the shop 38 days in 12 months before I got out of it and into my Jeep ECO!

My jeep has not seen the shop since new 2yrs old and tows same loads I pulled with 2500 and gets better mileage!!

Good luck getting this problem sorted but I would not hold my breathe its an easy fix without several trips to the dealer and aggravation and stress.

Just my opinion and I am sure yours will vary! haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just like pippin said my 14, 1500 brake mod worked fine would lock wheels also, i know its not the trailer brakes i pulled the emergency plug out and the brakes were locked, my new question is how do i get to the wiring on the controller i have the center console.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just like pippin said my 14, 1500 brake mod worked fine would lock wheels also, i know its not the trailer brakes i pulled the emergency plug out and the brakes were locked, my new question is how do i get to the wiring on the controller i have the center console.
You have to pull the center bezel for the radio to get to the harness that plugs into the back of it. Look it up on youtube, it is just two torqx bolts on the top and then it just pulls out. Make sure to catch all of the white clips that inevitably fall too.

OP
OP
K

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok i plugged in the camper to rear plug and did voltage test on fifth wheel plug in bed, with trailer brake at 100% and gain at 10 i got 9.15volts on light electric and 7.17 on heavy electric, lower voltage on heavy setting!

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok i plugged in the camper to rear plug and did voltage test on fifth wheel plug in bed, with trailer brake at 100% and gain at 10 i got 9.15volts on light electric and 7.17 on heavy electric, lower voltage on heavy setting!
Getting a little pissed at how common that story is. Feeling for you guys, can't imagine the frustration.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Good timing seeing this thread.....I also find that my trailer brakes are not working as well as they should, has me now wondering if it is an issue with the factory controller.
Will check the voltage I guess shortly and go from there.