No Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matteo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I've been searching around for a while and had found a couple similar situations others have had but their solution has not solved mine yet.

My headlights had been intermittent for a bit where they would work for a while, then they wouldnt work for a while to the point where they would flicker and then stay out.

my running lights would still work, my high beams when held, would stay on, but my low beam headlights would not come on still.

I replaced the headlamp switch as it seems to be a common failure but i am still having the same issue.

I have the entire dash apart and have found that it seems there is a loose wire possibly because when i have my headlamp switch turned on, the running lights are on, but the buzzer does not stay on constantly (engine off) like it usually does to remind you to turn your lights off. sometimes when i move the harness it goes on and off.

in short, my headlights wont stay on.

I have been unwrapping all the factory harness's in the dash and have yet to find a bad wire/loose wire.

any other ideas what i could be looking for??

im lost even with the factory wiring manual.

:suicide:

:help:

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
well since your high beams work your issue is in the wiring between the dimmer switch and headlights themselves. should be fairly easy to narrow down. i would possibly be looking at ground wires under the hood. you could try doing a resistance test between the headlight connector and the dimmer switch connector.

OP
OP
M

Matteo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found my issue.

96cc7915e604b952ba79bba20aabc784.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that would do it. that is one of the reasons i recommend installing a relay harness on any old truck especially if you are daily driving them. the weak spots in the electrical sometimes show up like that.

OP
OP
M

Matteo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that would do it. that is one of the reasons i recommend installing a relay harness on any old truck especially if you are daily driving them. the weak spots in the electrical sometimes show up like that.

Already ahead on that one. Made this harness and installed it.

9629f40260dc9e0f3c12b25fc8362243.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
looks good but seems like you are a bit late tho lol. at least you shouldn't have any future issues with the lights and they should be noticeably brighter.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Don't know how much salt they use on winter roads in Calgary, but it's MURDER on our trucks down here. It's always a challenge to see which goes first around here - the rockers, the floorpan, or the electrical. icon11.gif

It's the MAIN reason Gen1's are so scarce in the northeast and upper midwest anymore.