MOVE DIY Front Winch Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm starting this thread up today as tomorrow my bumper will arrive. Because my truck is the Sport model, majority of the aftermarket bumpers claim that they will not fit without modifications to the bumper or truck. Also, price was extreme compared to what I was used to for my Jeep. The winch bumper I was looking at for my Jeep was $800 shipped to my door already built. The least expensive I could find for my Ram was the ARB, starting at $1400 online.

So, I came across MOVE Bumpers on my Facebook of all places. I started researching harder into them, and found everybody who has purchased through them loved the bumpers. They're DIY, but they come majority assembled (5 pieces total) and you basically weld on the wings then the end caps.

So I gave them a call.

I started with the fact that work in an off road shop, to which I was told they only sell discounted for bulk ordering. So no discounted price, which was fine considering the price of the bumper and the fact that all the accessories I need I get major discounts on.

The second question I had was the fact that I have a Sport model, to which I heard the same thing as always. No, it will not fit. But then the kicker came. I was told by the Lacey that if I ordered the kit for my truck, they would give me $75 off the total cost if I'm willing to send back the modifications I do to make it fit so they can replicate and reproduce.

Then I asked my third question. While going through the additional options while building the bumper on their website, it was noted that if the additional winch plate for $75 was added, then the 20" light bar opening will not be included. I asked if there was enough room back behind the light bar to custom fab it together with a winch, to which I heard the second piece of great news. YES, there is room back there, and they have yet to update the website. They will actually build the bumper with the winch plate and the 20" opening.

So, I went ahead and ordered the bumper last Wednesday. I was told they'd get it built and ready to ship by Thursday of this week. I was then emailed a copy of my receipt after finishing the phone call with her, and along with my receipt was a tracking number. I checked the number and it showed a pickup was scheduled. Working with Amazon at my work, we do this all the time. Issue a tracking number to a buyer, then a couple days later UPS will pick up the product and go from there. I was expecting it to show UPS waiting for pickup till Wednesday or Thursday, but for ***** and giggles this morning I checked again. IT SHIPPED THURSDAY LAST WEEK. Scheduled to be here tomorrow on the 13th.

So, at this point, I'm extremely pleased with MOVE bumpers. They've answered all my questions. They're great to work with. So far, from info I've read and seen pictures of, the build of the bumper only takes a couple hours.

I ordered in the base bumper with 2 pair of 4x3" openings, the 20" opening, and the winch mount. Total cost was $470 shipped. I will be going to the paint supply shop this week to pickup a quart of clear Upol Raptor liner, a quart of self etching primer, and a small amount of PR4 single stage paint. The bumper will be sprayed red to match the rest of the truck (trying not to stray too far away from the sport appearance).

I ordered in a Rigid 20" light bar, a pair of CSI 4x3 flood lights, pair of CSI 4x3 spot lights, Engo 12k winch with synthetic rope, and a Factor 55 Prolink (haven't decided red or black though. Factor 55 is located here in Boise with me literally within walking distance to my work's shop so I can make that decision whenever I am ready to install the winch).

I'm hoping maybe this weekend to start the full build and painting of the bumper, then throughout next week install the lights and winch, then possibly the following weekend install and wire everything up.

I'll be posting pictures and updates throughout here of the process, and open to answer any questions regarding it as well for anyone else considering a bumper like this for their truck.

I'll break down the prices for everyone as well right now.

MOVE DIY Front Base Bumper: $395
Add Winch: $75
Shipping: $75

Upol Raptor 1 qt: $35
Activator: $10
PR4 Paint: $40
Self Etching Primer 1 qt: $30
Activator: $15

Rigid 20" Combo: $500
CSI 4x3 Floods: $200
CSI 4x3 Spots: $200
Engo 12k Synthetic Winch: $600
Factor 55 Prolink: $135

$2310 is where I would be at for this bumper install if I were to come in off the streets to buy it. Of Course, changes obviously can be made to lower the price down quite a bit (Epistar lights, no winch, rattle can bed liner, etc). That's one of the great things about doing a DIY bumper. Great for any budget!

The $2310 sounds like a lot, but considering Winchready and Trailready start out at $2000 per bumper, I would say getting quality add on's and the fact that I'm color matching it to my truck for $310 more is an awesome deal.

Enough talk, PICTURES!

No pics of the trucks with the 20" light bars AND winch, but you can put 2 and 2 together and be creative.

Here's the design

e-1500-1994-2001-standard-front-bumper_zpsi02xr7ar.jpg

Here's what it looks like built

624113418_9402Dodge2500kitbumperWalker_zpsalkz5bh2.jpg

Here's one with the full guard

150624113654_9402Dodge2500fullgrillkit_zpsoamzlvbx.jpg

24113734_9402dodge2500fullgrillkitside_zpsccqegrhe.jpg

Here's some 3rd Gens

20150624115858_0609Dodge2500Front_zpsoetorc6t.jpg

20150624115015_0305Rossidiykitfront_zpsh7emtwxd.jpg

3rd Gen with a winch

20150820173848_adamH_zpsnrezhtaq.jpg

20150820174003_AdamH2_zps8fdlewvb.jpg

And that's it for now. I'll post some pics tomorrow once the bumper arrives to show what I'm starting with.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I'm starting this thread up today as tomorrow my bumper will arrive. Because my truck is the Sport model, majority of the aftermarket bumpers claim that they will not fit without modifications to the bumper or truck. Also, price was extreme compared to what I was used to for my Jeep. The winch bumper I was looking at for my Jeep was $800 shipped to my door already built. The least expensive I could find for my Ram was the ARB, starting at $1400 online.

Because Jeeps have an aftermarket lol. You can buy a nice winch bumper for $400. Trucks? Nope.

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha my Jeep wasn't the fortunate cheap bumpers. 99 Grand Cherokee, cheapest winch bumper was eBay for $550 and you had to do some heavy trimming to get it to fit right.

Here's how it looked before blowing the motor up.

20150311_192903_zpsl4lnbyk2.jpg

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I was looking at them, they look like great bumpers and all the reviews on them are very positive!

I think most of your modifications will be in the grille area since the sports are more rounded than the regular grille

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

So, I came across MOVE Bumpers on my Facebook of all places. I started researching harder into them, and found everybody who has purchased through them loved the bumpers. They're DIY, but they come majority assembled (5 pieces total) and you basically weld on the wings then the end caps.

So I gave them a call.

I started with the fact that work in an off road shop, to which I was told they only sell discounted for bulk ordering. So no discounted price, which was fine considering the price of the bumper and the fact that all the accessories I need I get major discounts on.

The second question I had was the fact that I have a Sport model, to which I heard the same thing as always. No, it will not fit. But then the kicker came. I was told by the Lacey that if I ordered the kit for my truck, they would give me $75 off the total cost if I'm willing to send back the modifications I do to make it fit so they can replicate and reproduce.

Then I asked my third question. While going through the additional options while building the bumper on their website, it was noted that if the additional winch plate for $75 was added, then the 20" light bar opening will not be included. I asked if there was enough room back behind the light bar to custom fab it together with a winch, to which I heard the second piece of great news. YES, there is room back there, and they have yet to update the website. They will actually build the bumper with the winch plate and the 20" opening.

So, I went ahead and ordered the bumper last Wednesday. I was told they'd get it built and ready to ship by Thursday of this week. I was then emailed a copy of my receipt after finishing the phone call with her, and along with my receipt was a tracking number. I checked the number and it showed a pickup was scheduled. Working with Amazon at my work, we do this all the time. Issue a tracking number to a buyer, then a couple days later UPS will pick up the product and go from there. I was expecting it to show UPS waiting for pickup till Wednesday or Thursday, but for ***** and giggles this morning I checked again. IT SHIPPED THURSDAY LAST WEEK. Scheduled to be here tomorrow on the 13th.

So, at this point, I'm extremely pleased with MOVE bumpers. They've answered all my questions. They're great to work with. So far, from info I've read and seen pictures of, the build of the bumper only takes a couple hours.

I ordered in the base bumper with 2 pair of 4x3" openings, the 20" opening, and the winch mount. Total cost was $470 shipped. I will be going to the paint supply shop this week to pickup a quart of clear Upol Raptor liner, a quart of self etching primer, and a small amount of PR4 single stage paint. The bumper will be sprayed red to match the rest of the truck (trying not to stray too far away from the sport appearance).

I ordered in a Rigid 20" light bar, a pair of CSI 4x3 flood lights, pair of CSI 4x3 spot lights, Engo 12k winch with synthetic rope, and a Factor 55 Prolink (haven't decided red or black though. Factor 55 is located here in Boise with me literally within walking distance to my work's shop so I can make that decision whenever I am ready to install the winch).

I'm hoping maybe this weekend to start the full build and painting of the bumper, then throughout next week install the lights and winch, then possibly the following weekend install and wire everything up.

I'll be posting pictures and updates throughout here of the process, and open to answer any questions regarding it as well for anyone else considering a bumper like this for their truck.

I'll break down the prices for everyone as well right now.

MOVE DIY Front Base Bumper: $395

Add Winch: $75

Shipping: $75

Upol Raptor 1 qt: $35

Activator: $10

PR4 Paint: $40

Self Etching Primer 1 qt: $30

Activator: $15

Rigid 20" Combo: $500

CSI 4x3 Floods: $200

CSI 4x3 Spots: $200

Engo 12k Synthetic Winch: $600

Factor 55 Prolink: $135

$2310 is where I would be at for this bumper install if I were to come in off the streets to buy it. Of Course, changes obviously can be made to lower the price down quite a bit (Epistar lights, no winch, rattle can bed liner, etc). That's one of the great things about doing a DIY bumper. Great for any budget!

The $2310 sounds like a lot, but considering Winchready and Trailready start out at $2000 per bumper, I would say getting quality add on's and the fact that I'm color matching it to my truck for $310 more is an awesome deal.

Enough talk, PICTURES!

No pics of the trucks with the 20" light bars AND winch, but you can put 2 and 2 together and be creative.

Here's the design

e-1500-1994-2001-standard-front-bumper_zpsi02xr7ar.jpg

Here's what it looks like built

624113418_9402Dodge2500kitbumperWalker_zpsalkz5bh2.jpg

Here's one with the full guard

150624113654_9402Dodge2500fullgrillkit_zpsoamzlvbx.jpg

24113734_9402dodge2500fullgrillkitside_zpsccqegrhe.jpg

Here's some 3rd Gens

20150624115858_0609Dodge2500Front_zpsoetorc6t.jpg

20150624115015_0305Rossidiykitfront_zpsh7emtwxd.jpg

3rd Gen with a winch

20150820173848_adamH_zpsnrezhtaq.jpg

20150820174003_AdamH2_zps8fdlewvb.jpg

And that's it for now. I'll post some pics tomorrow once the bumper arrives to show what I'm starting with.

Great looking bumper. Keep this updated as I'm super interested in this build.

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was looking at them, they look like great bumpers and all the reviews on them are very positive!

I think most of your modifications will be in the grille area since the sports are more rounded than the regular grille

That's the only difference. The sport model grille comes down further than the chrome grilles. Easy modification, according to my boss we've done it to several sports with aftermarket bumpers. Just cut the bumper outwards to allow the grille to drop down behind the bumper. If needed, he said we've installed heavy springs that pop the hood up enough to get access to the latch after pulling the release. We will see this weekend.

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great looking bumper. Keep this updated as I'm super interested in this build.

Thanks. Hope it turns out good. I made the thread to update with the outcome for those looking for a reasonable bumper.

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bumper is here! I'll open the box tonight after hours and see what we're dealing with.

20151013_131410_zpsmxslvjku.jpg

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never got around to opening it ha. By the time I got off work I had 20 minutes to make it to daycare to pick up my daughter, so the bumper wound up thrown in the back of the truck. It's currently in my garage at home, I'll be tearing into it tonight. Got an appointment with the wife to see if our baby in march is going to be playing with hotwheels or barbies, once the appointment is over she has to go back to work but I'm free for the remaining part of the day. First priority once I'm free is to check out my bumper, maybe even start tacking it together.

Bubs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very cool, and congrats on the new one

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well **** guys, I'm slacking. The bumper has turned into another waiting project. I'll load it into my truck on Saturday and tear open the box at work while we're slow seeing as Saturdays we hardly have any customers. Planned on yesterday but the wife was convinced we'll do lunch and then pickup our daughters together, then yada yada yada. By the time I was free it was 11 last night so I can't make any more promises about doing it "after work"

As for the pre-runner, they have them. $495 with $75 shipping, and $75 if you want a winch mount with it too.

20150624120027_DIYPreRunner2006Dodge2500.jpg

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright, got started on it Saturday night. Got the wings fit and welded on. It went together easy, didn't fit 100 percent and required some slight modification to properly fit together, but all it all was very straight forward. There is hardly any instructions, some parts were labeled and some weren't, but nothing to cry about.

I got the wings tacked and ready to be welded by my co-worker, but after playing with it decided to just go for it. There's a few things that I'll have him finish up that I'll need a true welder for, such as the frame brackets, winch tray and shackle mounts. I don't trust my flux welder for safety purposes on items like that. But tonight I'll finish everything else up. All that's left now for me to do is weld the end caps on, mock and tack the light tabs, weld those in. Then mock and fit the winch tray, then tack it into place. From there this weekend I'll get the truck on a hoist and pull the factory bumper, then fit and tack the frame mounts on. Hopefully my co-worker will be free Saturday night to finish up the welding so I can get it sprayed. From there on Saturday night before heading home I'll run all my wiring for the lights, then come Sunday install the winch and lights into the bumper, then throw the bumper on the truck.

20151024_170244_zpsipxe2c9n.jpg

20151024_170921_zpsaaklosx4.jpg

20151024_172135_zpsydeqkj05.jpg

20151024_173405_zpsy2outsvp.jpg

20151024_181425_zps9o0xohsg.jpg

20151024_181417_zpskc1vmsfn.jpg

Bubs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If by chance could you measure the height of the new bumper? I want to see how much lower it hangs than the stock one

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll try to get a measurement of it tonight. Halloween is tomorrow and apparently I'm booked every night for family stuff until Monday, so I won't be getting any work done on it until then.

I'm not sure about your style bumper on your truck, but mines the sport model and I can visually see it's actually narrower than what I have so I'll be gaining clearance with it both in the center section and better approach angles courtesy of the wings.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll try to get a measurement of it tonight. Halloween is tomorrow and apparently I'm booked every night for family stuff until Monday, so I won't be getting any work done on it until then.

I'm not sure about your style bumper on your truck, but mines the sport model and I can visually see it's actually narrower than what I have so I'll be gaining clearance with it both in the center section and better approach angles courtesy of the wings.

Awesome. I was kinda worried about that since these trucks already have big bumpers. So far what kind of mods are you going to do to make it work with the grill?

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From the looks of it, nothing ha. The bumper already has a rounded cut that looks like it was there for clearance on the grille on the non sport trucks so you can still get your hand under the grille to open the hood. From the looks of it I think my grille will slide down behind the bumper. If it does, before modifying the bumper I might look for some sort of heavy springs that I can mount on top of the radiator support. Then when you pop the hood from the inside of the cab, the hood raises more than just an inch to get your hand under the grille for access. If that doesn't work, or the grille doesn't fit, I'll just trim the opening larger so the grille tucks down into the bumper and cut a notch for your hand to get to the latch.

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something like this if you were looking at it from the top view.

Here's how it is now.

GRILLE%20MOD_zpsulcb6c3u.jpg

If it's not enough, then I'll just expand the radius on the cut already there. Like this.

GRILLE%20MOD2_zpsxesbxwwt.jpg

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something like this if you were looking at it from the top view.

Here's how it is now.

GRILLE%20MOD_zpsulcb6c3u.jpg

If it's not enough, then I'll just expand the radius on the cut already there. Like this.

GRILLE%20MOD2_zpsxesbxwwt.jpg

Sweet I saw it coming along on the sticky in general. Keep us posted!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio