HD Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
just to be sure I am clear. If I want to run my tires at 60, set step 1 at 60 and step 2 at 50
Thanks

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well I brought my truck to the dealer yesterday for recalls and warranty work.
I printed out the steps for changing TPMS thresholds. Lady said no problem.
She calls me yesterday afternoon and tells me that one tech said it wouldn't work and the other said he would do it. She said it would cost me $120 because that was not covered under warranty. I told them that was bs and I understood that it wasn't under warranty but $120, come on. I told her maybe $50 tops. It shouldn't take that long to do.
I went to the dealer to pick my truck up and she said she talked to the service manager about the $50 price and now they are saying that Chrysler/RAM has locked them out of even performing this change. In other words, "they cant do it".
Sounds like a crock of **** cop out excuse to me.
I wish they would just say, sorry sir we don't feel comfortable doing this for liability reasons. I was pissed about it.
I did half the work for them by printing out the instructions.
I guess I will just continue living with the light for now.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well that sucks. My dealer had no problem with it, it took 20 minutes of my time and no bucks from my wallet.

They said if they had been asked to turn it off they would have turned me down and I agree with that. However, this was requested to fix a known issue with the system to modify the settings appropriate to the tire on the truck and they were all for it.

Running at over inflation is dangerous and not warranted simply because some programming dweeb thinks all 2500's should run a tire more fit for use on a forklift.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Mine didn't even read the print out. He told me that they took that right away from the dealer years ago and would not even attempt it. I guess the shocking part to me is this particular dealer customizes tons of trucks. They can't run all those tires at 80 PSI. They even have a megacab on 40" fuel tires and 22" rims.

AJ_IOOF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Had mine in for recall work over the weekend. Gave them a print out of the procedure. They charged me $20 and had me sign a waiver that they are not responsible if I have a blowout as a result of low tire pressure. The fix worked immediately. No 50-100 to adjust or anything. Problem solved...

If your dealership won't do it for you, give them the old :flipthebird: and find another dealership...

AJ_IOOF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Had mine in for recall work over the weekend. Gave them a print out of the procedure. They charged me $20 and had me sign a waiver that they are not responsible if I have a blowout as a result of low tire pressure. The fix worked immediately. No 50-100 miles to adjust or anything. Problem solved...

If your dealership won't do it for you, give them the old :flipthebird: and find another dealership...

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Had my dealer do the procedure but hurt someone's pride at the same time. Told the tech what to do and he stated that he has done tons of them. I mentioned that my truck was a 16 and the procedure was different from past trucks. After he tried and tried he came out and said it can not be done.I asked if I could come back and watch him use his computer. Of course he was only doing step one I then mentioned to do both steps like I asked . Just as soon as he finished the second step the light went out. He did not say another word to me , think his pride was hurt that I knew more than him. One of the other techs had me text him a picture of the procedure so they would have it for future trucks.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Okay guys, Im wanting to take my 2015 in to the stealership and have the TPMS redone as spelled out on the steps in this thread. Im still a bit ignorant on this topic, so I have a few questions if you guys can help me out.
For the record, the truck is setup from the Factory with 60 up front 80 in the back. Id like to run the tires at 60 lbs for everyday driving and have the ability to put 80 in the back if I have to tow a big load on the gooseneck.

Im a bit unclear about what is meant by ",,,, be in the middle of the high and low"

If you plan to run 10 psi difference. I suggest your "setting" be in the middle of the high and low just to give you a little cushion.

I read someone said something about "threshhold" and "minimum" pressures, can someone clarify for me? What figures do I need to tell these guys when I drop it off?

Also, can someone be a little more clear on this entire part:

When following the prompts - when asked for desired pressure setting - set new pressure levels.
You do not need to replace anything - just perform the function to set new levels.

Thanks for the ongoing help fellas !

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My low setting (when an alarm will sound) is 50psi, my tire pressures are set at 55 psi cold.

The upper limit is set at 80 so I can run 70 - 72 with the 5'vr hooked up and still account for psi growth as the tires heat up.

robval1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Longhorn Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had my TPMS reset today, set for 60psi on all four corners. Took the dealer about 10 minutes to complete, took about 35 minutes of driving till the lights quit flashing and the TPMS went off. Truck rides great. Dealer wrote it up as excessive tire wear (truck only has 3500 miles ) and I have lost 1/8 of an inch difference from the front tires. Did it under warranty, didn't charge me at all.:peace:

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hey guys so my pressure is at 7x something right now. Does it constantly chime if you lower it or just on start up? Just curious if it's livable until next oil change or if I should take it to dealer if I want to lower psi. Did it makes anyone's mpg worse? Ran my truck through its first mud today and then spent 3 hours washing it lol. Pulled through like a beast.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It will chime all the time (I tried this) and will more than likely drive you nuts.

I'd wait until you can get it done.

My tires wear prematurely wearing in the center due to over inflation, which is not a safe condition. Now they are wearing properly and I have a full contact patch on the road which is much safer.

No real MPG change that I've noticed.

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
At the dealership doing it now. Fingers crossed!

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Wow! Huge ride quality improvement! Dealership didn't even charge me!

sewardmark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tpms reset

Anyone know of a dealer in Minnesota that can handle the tpms reset for a 2015 RAM 2500,Ben to 3 said that they can't find it on there software and will have to wait for update???

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Anyone know of a dealer in Minnesota that can handle the tpms reset for a 2015 RAM 2500,Ben to 3 said that they can't find it on there software and will have to wait for update???

I was the guy that found the original 'directions' for the sticky.

Walser in Hopkins did the first part and said that was all they could do. When I found the instructions I took it to Park Jeep in Burnsville and they did part 2 and that's how I verified that it worked.

I would stay away from Walser, but Park Jeep has been very good.

sewardmark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Talked to a Mark down at burnsville and he said it was illegal to adjust tpms, aaarrggg, do you have a contact there I could talk to?

Status
Not open for further replies.