Anyone run black rims in winter salt conditions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I put on some Fuel Nutz black/machined rims and wondered how the black would hold up in salty road conditions. I put Shark Hide on the machined surfaces and not worried about that. Shark Hide can be put on painted surfaces, but looks like it would be kind of a *****. I've read and heard that the painted parts of the rim will hold up fine. Looking for firsthand experience. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I use fluid film on my 4g for the winter. I coat my stock wheels, all under joints, all seams and box with it. Stuff works amazing. Ran through Canadian winter and you'd never know it was covered in salt most of the winter.

Reactions: jbr

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have aftermarket black wheels on my truck and take them off every winter and install the stock wheels with snow tires mounted on them. Living in Western NY, the black wheels would be destroyed after 2-3 winters with all the salt and grit they put on the roads around here.

A05GSHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yep I swap mine out in November to the stockers with stock sized Duratracs. **** costs to much to let the salt fawk them up.

Last edited:

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I don't anymore but have in the past. Usually I do a full hand wash clay bar and wax before winter. When I had my black aluminum rims I would pressure wash them, then had wax them with a few coats of wax. I now use cheap steel wheels for my winter tires cause the salt is just poured on the highway. I also use dyna beads so there were no weights to get salt stuck on them. Every two weeks I hit up the pressure washer and use the soap spray then go through a touch less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963