How long are Cummins diesels good for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpeach1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel
I have a '95 ram 3500 with a Cummins diesel. It has 200,000 miles on it now and I am planning to drive it to Louisiana to haul a pick up back to California. I'm going to have the truck checked out before I go: hoses, breaks, belt...etc... And I've always heard that 200,000 miles is not super high mileage relative to the longevity of the Cummins diesel engine. Is there anything else I should check with that truck since I'll be hauling 2000 miles back?

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
If it was taken care if in its previous life, and you continue to take care of it, that engine could easily last half a million miles.

As for what you should check, the usual things: fluid levels, determine when they were changed, anything loose, any drivability symptoms. I'd recommend having an extra fuel filter on hand (especially if it sat for a while without being driven), as well as some basic tools.

Beyond that, I'd have to declare my ignorance having not actually owned a Cummins. Others can probably chime in with better advice.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Make sure all your filters are up to date and *****, so fluids are at proper level (axles, trans, t case, oil, coolant, power steering, brakes, everything). Is be sure coming system works well that's a long time on the road and you don't wanna be on the side thx to overheating.

JUICEBOX

I don't read the script. The script reads me.
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
200K isnt anything to worry about.

300mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 12 Valve
much longer than 200K

I have a 1996 with automatic and it now has 418,000. I regularly pull my 9,500 pound 5th wheel camper with the truck. I would not worry if yours has been maintained properly. The transmission was rebuilt at 273,000 miles.

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2001 that I sold last year had 327k on it with the original motor and still had good compression and even had the stock injectors and ran perfectly. Transmission was rebuilt by previous owner so that had no issues either. I have seen some Cummins with over 500k and still able to pull like the day it came off the lot.