A trailer with no brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpeach1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel
I'm going to be using my '95 Dodge Cummins 3500 dually to haul a 1967 ford f100 on a Uhaul car transport trailer. I've reserved the trailer and also found out that the trailers Uhaul rent don't have electric brakes. Is that safe? The Ford being towed weighs about 3500 pounds. It'll be a cinch for my truck to haul, but I'm concerned about downhills and stopping power on the trailer. Has anyone towed a load like this on a Uhaul trailer with any problems?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You have a 1 ton....it'll be just fine. You may feel it push a little bit, but you'll still stop fine.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll be fine since your ram is big enough.I used to be a tow truck driver. My wrecker was a 92 f350 7.3 diesel 4x2. I've pulled several vehicle the same size and larger without any type of braking system without any problems. Just give yourself some extra distance and time and you should be fine.

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some Uhauls have hydraulic brakes installed.

I'm pretty certain if you're going to be using one of their car haulers. It will have hydraulic brakes, since I can't see them renting out something that wasn't "legal". Most states and province's require trailer brakes over a certain weight (anywhere from 2K to 3500K+).

Uhaul tends to use hydraulic brakes oppose to electric, since it covers their backside. If they came with electric, they would have to ensure that the renter had an electric brake controller in the vehicle. This way, with the hydraulic, it's attached to the trailer and it's one less thing they have to worry about.

OutLore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've towed a 1950 Studebaker pickup (probably around 3500#) on a U-Haul car hauler twice - once with a U-Haul truck from TX to NC and then from Raleigh to Louisburg (40 miles) with my Ram (1500) - they do have hydro brakes, but both times I didn't feel there wasn't enough braking available.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I've towed a few 1/2 ton pick ups with my '06 2500 on a trailer that has electric brakes...that don't work...and its been fine. Leave yourself some extra room like Rlaf75 suggests and if the Uhaul has hydraulic brakes even better.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've towed a 1950 Studebaker pickup (probably around 3500#) on a U-Haul car hauler twice - once with a U-Haul truck from TX to NC and then from Raleigh to Louisburg (40 miles) with my Ram (1500) - they do have hydro brakes, but both times I didn't feel there wasn't enough braking available.

Knowing how U-HAUL operates,they've probably never serviced the brakes.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
if i were you i wouldn't tow a truck on a trailer without some kind of braking system.if for any reason the trailer comes away from the truck its going to kill someone.don't think it can't happen to you.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
At least make sure you have enough tongue weight.I was towing my race car on a trailer with no brakes. I thought I had positioned the car on the hauler with enough tongue weight, I was wrong. It was about 3 or 4 inches shallow. I had just gotten on the freeway, there was a long incline, then when I reached the crest of the hill and started down the other side, I touched the brakes and the trailer started wagging. I could see the trailer on my left side with my peripheral vision, when I was facing forward! Fortunately, the rush hour traffic parted, and slowed waiting for me to crash, but I was able to wrestle it to a stop. Had I had trailer brakes, It probably wouldn't have happened, or I could have settled it with the brake controller.