Trans fluid change???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Morganstruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this has probably been asked a thousand times so forgive me. I have a ramcharger 4wd with the 727, the truck runs great, shifts great, no problems with the trans at all. I have had the truck for 6 years and have not changed the trans fluid in it, now the pan gasket is starting to leak. So my question is can I put a new gasket, filter, and fluid and possibly be okay? Or should have it rebuilt and know everything is okay and comes with a warranty?? And just another quick question, are any of you guys running a borgeson steering shaft? And how do you like them? Thanks..

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think it would really depend on what the fluid looks like. if it is burnt then ya it would be a good idea to have it rebuilt but if it looks fine then a fluid and filter change is most likely all you need.

i don't have a borgeson steering shaft on my truck but my friend does and it is great. takes all the slop out that is usually in the stock steering coupler after it is worn. if they were not so expensive especially you do the conversion i would probably consider getting one for my truck also. i tried rebuilding the coupler on the used steering box that i put on my 81 and it feels a lot sloppier than the couple did before i rebuilt it but then again the grease that was in it looked similar to mud.

OP
OP
M

Morganstruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fluid is not a bright red or pink color on the stick. It's more orange looking than anything.

I was planning on getting the shaft because I just put 33" all terrains on it. Put ball joints, drag link, and tie-rod ends on it. Rebuilt the steering coupler with factory parts from dodge. ( got them from my local dodge dealer. ) couldn't believe it!! Also am having the leaf springs re-arched to get the negative arch out.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it would most likely be fine with a fluid and filter change.

if the stock coupler seems fine after the rebuild then you could leave it. you can check to see if there is any slop in it by turning the steering shaft under the hood. if the steering shaft can turn any amount and the coupler is not then there is some slop in the coupler.

OP
OP
M

Morganstruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it still has slack in it. I put fresh grease in it when I rebuilt it. And did it it again when I changed the steering and suspension pieces.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
not too surprising. as far as i know amazon is the cheapest place to get a borgeson steering shaft from if you want to get one.