how much can the truck handle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coletrain523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 4x4 and have a buddy that has considered selling his camper. And I would like to get it but I don't really know if the truck can handle it. I have towed a 1983 30 ft camper to Jacksonville (3 hour drive from my house) and it handled it like a champ. Never even really noticed it. Now if I was to get one it would only be pulled once or twice every now and then only reason I am considering pulling with my truck. But does anyone else have experience with a similar setup? Am I getting to much? Do I need to wait and get a Cummings? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
you didn't really post any info on the camper,truck camper or travel trailer or fifth wheel? i'm gonna say no,given the info.:)

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The 5.9 has a bit more power than the 5.2. I've pulled 10Klbs of steel on a trailer before, flatland only though. But I regularly pull a 7.5Klbs trailer without a problem engine wise. You are going to want to either upgrade the rear suspension or get some heavy duty weight distributors, depending on the trailer tongue weight you will quickly bottom out your truck. On my 1500, 800lbs on the tongue was more than enough to bring it to the axle stops on the stock suspension, didnt help that it was tired. How i've got it upgraded with 2500 equivalent springs and it only drops an inch or two fully loaded down. Hills that are above about 15% are a problem for me until I get rid of the death flash though.

Get some specs on the trailer on here, we can only help you out as far as you share with us.

OP
OP
C

Coletrain523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Sorry don't know why I didn't put any info. But the camper is a 2007 rockwood 8314 ss (non fifth wheel) I believe it's a 30 footer as well. But I could be wrong.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2007/Rockwood

Well it's under 6k lbs dry and 33'. Don't know what your tow limits are but the length is going to be the deciding factor. You shouldn't be more than 7k-7.5k loaded. That should be fine for the 5.9.

What do you have for gears? I had a 2002 1500 with the 5.9 and it had 3.92's (I miss those gears) and I wouldn't have hesitated towing that camper. My 2001 with the 5.2 only had 3.55's and that was a dog. Would have hated to tow a pop up with that thing.

Last edited:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Sorry don't know why I didn't put any info. But the camper is a 2007 rockwood 8314 ss (non fifth wheel) I believe it's a 30 footer as well. But I could be wrong.

As previously posted its essentially a 34 footer, coming in at just a hair over 7.5K loaded. Shouldnt be a problem for you as long as you drive reasonably. I wouldnt expect great gas mileage while towing though, especially if you want to go over 60mph. My trailer is just a hair heavier at about 7.8K loaded, and my 5.2L pulls it fine in the relatively flat state of michigan, with an upgraded rear end of course.

I would think you have the 3.92 rear end given that it has the 5.9L in it. As long as you keep that bad boy maintained, you shouldnt have any problems, unless you decide to run some hills, then you are going to want to keep that trailer as light as possible.

Mattx15

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 4x4 and have a buddy that has considered selling his camper. And I would like to get it but I don't really know if the truck can handle it. I have towed a 1983 30 ft camper to Jacksonville (3 hour drive from my house) and it handled it like a champ. Never even really noticed it. Now if I was to get one it would only be pulled once or twice every now and then only reason I am considering pulling with my truck. But does anyone else have experience with a similar setup? Am I getting to much? Do I need to wait and get a Cummings? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

i wouldnt recommend this at all but my dodge ram 5.9 1500 2wd i have pulled dump trailers over 12,000lb the engine handles it no problem but your tranny and rear end will take a beating, i had mine built since and have 3/4 ton springs but i wouldnt recommend it im just saying it can handle a lot but wont last if you tow overweight like i do

Don Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10 8.0
I think you should check not only your towing capacity but also your payload capacity. If your trailer weighs 7.5 k then tongue weight will be at least 750 and more likely 800 pounds. There should be a payload capacity on your driver door sticker. Add the weight of your hitch gear passengers etc. As I understand it the weakest link in your drivetrain is your transmission which,if automatic is a 46re. Make sure you stay on top of it's maintenance. Make sure you get a good weight distribution hitch. When properly set up it will do a lot to help level out your truck and trailer. I had a 3rd gen 05 qc hemi and towed a very similar rig for about 8 years. A 2500 would be better but it should be ok if your payload capacity is ok.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hope he’s made a decision by now. This thread was made over 2yrs ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963