Cam parts list

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
This will be an info thread for everyone looking to do a cam install on there Hemi. Read through the list and it will give you a good understanding of what all you need to track down for the install, have fun.

Things you will need for a cam install:
-Cam of your choosing
-Springs (most of us use 6.1 exhaust springs, you can use aftermarket)
-Pushrods (most of us use 6.1 intake and exhaust rods, if the cam is a regrind or your wanting fordged rods they can be ordered)
-Cam bolt
-Crank bolt
-Fluids (oil and antifreeze)
-Oil filter
-Crank pulley puller
-RTV sealent for front cover and oil pan where they meet up
-Assembly lube (for cam and pushrods)
-Trq wrench
-Cam degree wheel

*The stock retainers can be used unless you want aftermarket or new

If you do the spring swap with the heads on your going to need:
-Miller valve spring compressor pn#9065B (or a make shift compressor due to the heads and the buckets on the 6.1 springs)

If you pull the heads to do a spring swap:
-Head gaskets
-Head bolts
-Exhaust gaskets if you pull the manifolds or header
-C-clamp style spring compressor

Suggested parts to install while your there:
-180* T-stat
-New timing set (the tensioner slides do wear out)
-Crower adjustable timing set if you want to advance/retard a cam
-A/F meter
-6.1 oil pump

If your unhooking the fuel line from the rail your going to need the slip insert to unhook the line.

Most leave the AC compressor hooked up and out of the way unless you own a shop.

Air tools and cordless impacts will make the job 100% faster and easier but not needed.

***** Some cams will require other mods to work the best so do research*******
-Small cams can run off base tunes or a canned tune, best performance will come from a custom tune
-Most cams will want a header (shorties, mids or full blown long tubes)
-Larger cams will want a converter to get into the power band
-Larger cams will want a good set of heads

Last edited:

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Great checklist Ken! Nice having all your parts and supplies there and ready instead of running to the parts store 2 or 3 times.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a question? How come I never see anyone changing the rockers?

BTW exceptionally nice list!

OP
OP
K

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Harland Sharp was making a set of adjustable ones at one time that were through the roof expensive. I believe Sharadon did some testing with them and never heard much more on them. The rockers on these motors will handle a pretty high lift cam. A set of lifters would be more common to replace. If you notice most of the cams in the trucks have decent lift but not full on stroker like the LX and Jeep guys are running.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Great List Man. I was pondering on Buying the Sharadon Rocker Coller (Holdown) Set-up but it seems the price has jumped in the last year and other than looking pretty cool is IMO one of those nice to have or serious parts like the Titanium Retainers. If I ever work my heads I think I will get a set, but the 06 5.7 LX or 6.1 Ignition or Red MSD Coil set-up is ahead on my list!

OP
OP
K

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Only rocker issues I would see whould be from a very high lift cam at high held RPM's but cant say I have seen a failure at the rocker on these yet. Most cam failures come from A) the cam being degreed wrong, B) incorrect springs or pushrods and C) the motor not being turned over by hand a few cycles to make sure the pushrods are seated.

StaLL1oN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 1500 Quad cab SLT 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rough estimate on a shop to do the work, this is beyond my abilities unfortunately.

StaLL1oN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 1500 Quad cab SLT 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why is the cam degree wheel needed? Everyone I've talked to says there is no degreeing the cam, just make sure its at 12 and crank at 2?

Bayou ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
? on the thread

What kind of power would I expect to see from the cam swap and what is the best cam to use plus what kind of price would I be looking at

stephens22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
price

Great write up!! could we possibly get a rough price range on this build and some sources for parts thanks!!

05Ram5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to start the mods on my truck, I want to do the cam but also want to have my heads done as well. I was thinking it be cheaper to have the ones off my truck gone through and ported and polished. I can do all the other work. Everything I've found online is new heads and a core. Does anyone know a place I can send them or even locally here in Houston and have them done for a reasonable price? I know I don't want to go cheap but I would like less than 2000-2500 lol

sear386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This will be an info thread for everyone looking to do a cam install on there Hemi. Read through the list and it will give you a good understanding of what all you need to track down for the install, have fun.

Things you will need for a cam install:
-Cam of your choosing
-Springs (most of us use 6.1 exhaust springs, you can use aftermarket)
-Pushrods (most of us use 6.1 intake and exhaust rods, if the cam is a regrind or your wanting fordged rods they can be ordered)
-Cam bolt
-Crank bolt
-Fluids (oil and antifreeze)
-Oil filter
-Crank pulley puller
-RTV sealent for front cover and oil pan where they meet up
-Assembly lube (for cam and pushrods)
-Trq wrench
-Cam degree wheel

*The stock retainers can be used unless you want aftermarket or new

If you do the spring swap with the heads on your going to need:
-Miller valve spring compressor pn#9065B (or a make shift compressor due to the heads and the buckets on the 6.1 springs)

If you pull the heads to do a spring swap:
-Head gaskets
-Head bolts
-Exhaust gaskets if you pull the manifolds or header
-C-clamp style spring compressor

Suggested parts to install while your there:
-180* T-stat
-New timing set (the tensioner slides do wear out)
-Crower adjustable timing set if you want to advance/retard a cam
-A/F meter
-6.1 oil pump

If your unhooking the fuel line from the rail your going to need the slip insert to unhook the line.

Most leave the AC compressor hooked up and out of the way unless you own a shop.

Air tools and cordless impacts will make the job 100% faster and easier but not needed.

***** Some cams will require other mods to work the best so do research*******
-Small cams can run off base tunes or a canned tune, best performance will come from a custom tune
-Most cams will want a header (shorties, mids or full blown long tubes)
-Larger cams will want a converter to get into the power band
-Larger cams will want a good set of heads

for the 6.1 valve springs are they a direct drop in with the 5.7 head or do you need shims, cage, new retainers, valve seals, valve spring locators, etc...?

Frank Lucero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What's does it normally cost to have your truck cammed out with tune? Also what would be the recommended size cam for an 03 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi? Lastly I'm putting longtime headers with a flowmaster true dual exhaust my basic use for this truck Is mudding and some rock crawling. I have 37 inch military tires on this truck so I'll need all the power I can get.

njohnson6425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a question for anyone who can answer. I'm getting conflicting answers. I have a 2008 Ram 1500 with the 5.7. Im getting long tube headers with a catless y pipe on next week. Im about a month I'm have a cam installed (I want that heavy lope sound) but wanted to know about the muffler. I currently have a magnaflow on there now. I dont want to take it off as I know the sound will be almost unbearable especially in the truck as I have axle dump exhaust now. Is there a different muffler that wont restrict much of the loping sound or you think keeping the magnaflow on there will be just fine?? Any help will be appreciated

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting rid of the cats are going to make it loud AF especially without tail pipes. I would put a full exhaust on it with a big like 18” Maggie and you’ll hear the cam just fine if it’s aggressive enough.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Most cams that act that way are high rpm power cams and aren't really the hot ticket for getting a 5000+lb truck moving without a helluva lot of gear and stall speed.