Dash replacement material and durability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
I'm about to buy a new dashboard for my V10 truck and I'm wondering what route I should go.

Currently, the one I am planning on going with is from LMC. I've looked at the ones that Genos sells as well. I've seen both good and bad reviews from both. I saw one from Genos that was cracking when it arrived and looked like it was a piece of crap with bondo on it. I've read stories of the ones from LMC cracking, but I also read of others who have had them in for years with no issues. I feel that a lot of it depends on how tight you get the screws holding it on.

The other option would be a fiberglass dash. They will obviously be heavier (Not really concerned about that) but will be a hell of a lot stronger and wont snap like a Lays potato chip. My main concern on these is how well the fitment is. The ones I have seen are hand made so it is highly unlikely they are perfect. Another thing is the finish, I don't really want to have to sand the fiberglass smooth and paint it. This is another perk of the LMC dash, it will already be painted tan.

While I'm in there, I'm going to change the evaporator and heater core. Anything else I should do while I'm at it?

I'm just looking for some advice from those who have changed or had their dash changed. I don't want something that in 5 years is going break into a hundred pieces like the factory one did.

Thanks!

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the LMC dash and it's holding up great.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The LMC dashes seem to be pretty reliable for the most part. This is the first I've heard any bad about them. If you're really concerned you can lay a thin layer of fiberglass on the underside for reinforcement.

OP
OP
Marksman

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
How long have y'all had your dashes?

I sent the guy with the fiberglass dash an email and he said that there isn't any dremel tool work or any kind of shaping required to make it fit properly. All holes are already drilled, just drop it in and go. He said he's sold a couple hundred of them and has yet to have any complaints about the fit and finish.

I'm kind of leaning towards the fiberglass one now. It's also $60 cheaper than the LMC dash.

OP
OP
Marksman

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
I decided to with the fiberglass dash, just out of curiosity so that i'd know whether they're any good or not. I'll definitely post my results after I get it installed.

OP
OP
Marksman

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
Received the dash in the mail today. Right after I bought it and it shipped, the seller changed the shipping from "free" to "local pickup only". I guess he realized that they weren't going to be cheap or easy to ship.

Overall, I would have to say that the dash looks really really good. It has a few minor blemishes on either side where the dash comes down to go around the glove box, but about 5 minutes of work will fix that. Stenciled on the back is Heco en Mexico, so at least we know they're not Chinese. I probably wont get it installed for a week or two, but ill report back with pictures.