Freeze plug looks bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duncman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
Any one replace freeze plugs on a 318 before? Does not look all that bad, just gotta remove the starter. I have never done freeze plugs before but they do not look all that complicated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 122

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it will most likely be a bit harder than you think but not too bad. just get some good quality freeze plugs and you should be good. you might have to fight to get the starter out of the way but i think it is possible.

Kpearson

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 RAM 2500
Engine
5.9 Gas
I haven't done mine yet, but I know that one a 289 that I'm helping with we had to drain the coolant and pull the coolant plugs from the back of the block. After that it was removal of the starter and pop them out. Clean the seat really well and seat them back in.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
that is a pretty common issue with older LA engines, especially if the coolant mix has not been maintained faithfully, The way the coolant circulates, the left side freeze plugs rot first. Then the back of the block plugs go next. When you drain the coolant, replace all the left plugs at the same time. Use brass plugs if you only want to do it once and you plan on keeping the truck for awhile. While the plugs are out use compressed air and a garden hose nozzle to wash out all the rust and sand which has piled up in the water jackets and against the plugs, causing the plugs to rot. Use that dark brown Form a Gasket (#2?) goo to coat the sides of the plug, prior to insertion .

OP
OP
D

duncman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
Thanks for all the advice. I was able to swap the freeze plug out with out that much trouble, just had to drop the starter and I had all the room in the world.

The coolent system was nasty, looked like mud had gotten in there, I was able to flush the block and the radiator real good to get all of the gunk out. I buttoned everything up and drove it around the block with no leaks. I park it and start putting tools away and I hear water dripping, I look down and there is a steady stream coolent leaking from under the truck. After some investigation I find that it's coming from the weep hole on the water pump, so now I get to pull that sucker off tomorrow. Weeeee

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
HAHAHA, I forgot to mention the corollary to Murphys Law. Shortly after draining, flushing, and refilling with fresh anti freeze, another leak will appear, and you will lose most if not all your new coolant.

OP
OP
D

duncman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
Water pump is in and no leaks so far! Thanks for all yalls help on this.

ajmecum5.21500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know how much coolant ill lose replacing the 4 accesible ones on the 5.2 engine? I've been catching most of what's leaking out and I'm at about 2 gallons