Tranny cooler replacement procedure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
03 Laramie quad cab 5.9 liter with tow package.
I need to replace the large transmission cooler as it is seeping/weeping fluid from the top corner near the middle of the truck. Actual physical replacement is not an issue I was just wondering about getting fluid back into it. Is there a proper to prevent the transmission from spinning with a giant air bubble in the lines.

I plan on towing a 3200 pound camper 12 hours to Maine. Stock cooler looks plenty big enough and probably don't need to add another one or anything correct?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I didn't have any issues when I replaced mine with the factory 1 ton cooler, just installed it, ran it up to temp and checked the fluid.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
pre-fill the new cooler as much as possible before you install it.

OP
OP
pajeepman

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Thought about that but the inlet and outlet are both at the same level, at the bottom. Easy to do on my old '96 ram with only an in radiator cooler. Thought about trying to hook up outlet and use a big syringe/pump kinda thing and force some in then quick hook up inlet.

Jnovuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
03 Laramie quad cab 5.9 liter with tow package.
I need to replace the large transmission cooler as it is seeping/weeping fluid from the top corner near the middle of the truck. Actual physical replacement is not an issue I was just wondering about getting fluid back into it. Is there a proper to prevent the transmission from spinning with a giant air bubble in the lines.

I plan on towing a 3200 pound camper 12 hours to Maine. Stock cooler looks plenty big enough and probably don't need to add another one or anything correct?

Transmission has a breather tube, install the part, fill up the transmission to proper levels (with truck off), start truck, let it get warm/shift through gears while not moving, check fluid again, go for a brief drive, check fluid again.

A day or two later, check fluid again.

Easy peasy.