Trying to decrease body roll while cornering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 3 inch body lift and a 2.5 inch leveling kit on my d150. I am almost done installing my 5.7 hemi so it's safe to say I will be accelerating and turning much faster than I did with my tired and old 318. One thing I can't seem to find info on is how to increase body roll - I know the most popular and basic way is to "upgrade the sway bars", but there must be more to it than that...? After driving my friends lifted 2015 silverado I noticed how much my old dodge "tips" when I turn. Any ideas? I can't lose any body ride height, my tires can't afford any less clearance. Thanks!

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You seriously took the time to reply with "buy a car"? Very cool

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Take a look at all your bushings - new ones may help.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You seriously took the time to reply with "buy a car"? Very cool

Yes I did. You're comparing the handling of a heavier, 23 year old (at least) truck with 5.5" of lift, with who knows how much higher center of gravity, to a 2016 IFS truck. It will never be a sports car. It's all a function of physics and leverage against the center of gravity.

If you seriously want to reduce body roll:
-As mentioned, check bushings
-Stiffer springs
-Lower profile tires
-Stiffer sway bars
Remove all weight possible from above the CG
-Lower the truck (IMO, a body lift is the single worst thing you can do for handling)
-Wider wheels and tires
-Higher tire air pressure
- yes, buy a car.

All these come with penalties. All you are doing is moving the kinetic energy that the body roll took up, and redistributing it somewhere else. At the end of the day, you'll still have an old truck, which, while very cool, will likely never handle as good as a new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes I did. You're comparing the handling of a heavier, 23 year old (at least) truck with 5.5" of lift, with who knows how much higher center of gravity, to a 2016 IFS truck. It will never be a sports car. It's all a function of physics and leverage against the center of gravity.

If you seriously want to reduce body roll:
-As mentioned, check bushings
-Stiffer springs
-Lower profile tires
-Stiffer sway bars
Remove all weight possible from above the CG
-Lower the truck (IMO, a body lift is the single worst thing you can do for handling)
-Wider wheels and tires
-Higher tire air pressure
- yes, buy a car.

All these come with penalties. All you are doing is moving the kinetic energy that the body roll took up, and redistributing it somewhere else. At the end of the day, you'll still have an old truck, which, while very cool, will likely never handle as good as a new truck.

Okay thanks For the information and suggestions. My truck is a 2wd, so it is IFS. I know it will never handle like a car, or even a new truck, but all I was asking was how to decrease body roll even a little bit. I wasn't sure if maybe there was a different shock/spring combo compared to stock that might give a stiffer but more stable ride. I don't drive "fast" but some of the highways that I take to work in the mornings are curvy and fast paced and it's tough to keep up with traffic when it feels like your truck is going to lift off the ground haha

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Being 2WD will certainly help. In reality shocks will do nothing for body roll, all a shock does is slow or speed up the compression/rebound of the spring. If I had a small budget, I would concentrate on the cheaper, easier to install rear components, (sway bar, springs) and replace any shot bushings, (not expensive, just labor intensive if you do your own work). Not sure how old your body lift is or what quality it was, but that would be the very first place I would check for square, plumb, and level.