Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idahobushpilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 2006 Ram 2500 with diesel power and a 5 speed auto trans. 123,000 miles. The truck is like new and has been maintained endlessly. I have noticed since moving to Idaho and pulling long, steep, and winding grades pulling my 8000 lb camp trailer
( yesterdays grade was 7 miles ) about 3/4 the way up the transmission will start dropping from 2nd gear to 3rd then quickly to 4th at a speed of about 20 mph. At this point the speed will slow and when I give it additional throttle the trans will then kick up to 2nd but when the speed increases a small amount I go thru the same process. This happens regardless if I am in normal or towing mode. Sure does not seem normal and sinse it starts to happen after extended pulling up steep grades it makes me worry. Any help is appreciated.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you monitor transmission temperatures? Transmission heat when towing, especially on steep grades is the enemy and the #1 killer of tow vehicles.