2 barrel to 4 barrel conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allenrench

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there all.
I have been debating on converting my 2 barrel carb to a 4 barrel and would like to know what else I would have to convert on my 1990 360.
Thanks for any input

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
90's were fuel injected from the factory. That "2 barrel carb" is the throttle body injection. Unless someone removed all of the electronics and added a carb, why someone would do that only to install a 2 barrel is baffling.
If your looking for more horsepower, you need a tuner.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if everything is working fine you are best to leave it as is and be happy with it. sticking a 4 barrel would likely not gain you anything other than it costing you money. the TBI system that is on the truck would likely create the exact same amount of power as a 4 barrel.

@crash there is no tuners available for these trucks. there is performance computers available for od1 trucks with magnum engines like my 93 but they are still very limited and not really tuneable.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
yes a 90 would be an LA engine. they used them all the way up till 91 for the 239/318 and 92 for the 360

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IF you have a 2bbl carb, and are not thinking the TBI is a carb, the way to do what you want entails a lot of work. First off to do a 2bbl to 4 bbl swap the right way you really need to go to a hotter cam. Otherwsie a 4 bbl will be no benifit at all and might be a step backwards. Second, on a 90s vintage 318 or 360 a 4 bbl will have to be a small one to work at all. If you still want to do it get a cam made for the chrysler small block that is in the middle of the street strip range and a 500cfm carter carb and a good aluminum intake, and a phenolic spacer.