6.7l Cummins mods in California? Options.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swp1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l cummins
I've searched a lot so don't hammer me for not looking. Seems like most of you guys are not in California. I know I'm limited on what I can do in Cali for performance/ mpg. But what are my fellow Cali neighbors doing to their 6.7s? Sounds like I may get away with an egr deleat, intake and a tune( but go back stock for smog)?? School me up please
2012 2500 cummins in So. Cali!
Thanks fellas

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Do you have to do smog testing every year? Is there a way around that? I know of a number of Cummins trucks in Cali that are fully deleted but I'm not sure how they're getting around the smog testing. If you have instagram I could get you some of their usernames to PM and ask what they're doing.

OP
OP
swp1983

swp1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l cummins
Pm sent thank

OP
OP
swp1983

swp1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l cummins
sounds like you need to know some people to get around it and evan then its a risk. But yours is a 5.9, isn't it easier to take off and put on the stock equipment?.... no particulate filter... I feel lucky that i don't have to put in def fluid in but the '12 still has alot of emissions crap on it that I'm still learning about... I'm trying to track down someone in my town that had 6.7l mods to see what they do locally...

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If you delete, expect to have to but everything back on before you go in for inspection. You can remove just the DPF and NOx canisters and replace with a delete pipe to simplify the process. The delete tuners er will disable the EGR so reason to remove it from the truck.

There are options for those looking for a little more power and drivability and don't want to have to delete. Ray at Double R Diesel is working on emissions intact tuning on the new RaceME MM3 platform but not sure if it's ready to go yet. I'm sure that some of the bigger name EFI live tuners have emissions intact tuning as well.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where are you located? Some very Rural areas do not require smog maybe you are lucky and in one of those areas.

But other than that you have a few options to run rebel and get a "hot smog", which is not something I would suggest. Honestly there isn't much you can do to these things that Comyfornia allows.

As you mentioned anything where the smog equipment is removed you would have to replace at time of smog. That even goes for turbos, they have become wise to what the stock ones look like and many smog shops and State referee look at model numbers now. Some may sneak through though.

But it is merely a visual test for parts compliance and a wrap test to see if it smokes. Its more about control and $$$$ A Buddy of mine just got red tagged recently for his turbo on his second gen. had to change everything back to 100% smog to get his registration. Smog shop turned him in. Funny thing is it smoked more with the stock set up than it does with what was modified to it.