Critique my parts list, please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richml3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am new to the "sport" since I've been more of a car guy. Got an 84 W150 with some steering issues. Went to my local trusted 4x4 shop for a check and here's the parts list they gave me. I'd like to know opinions on quality, suitability, alternatives (costs?), and degree of difficulty for the DIY mechanic (without a lift in the garage).

DL10 adjustable drag link
ES393R/ES394R outer tie rod ends
800060 2-degree steel shim
20990 premium hub set

I'll be right here ... thanks!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
does it have any lift? you should be able to do the tie rods, drag link and hubs in your driveway. that shim might be a bit of a pain in the ass without a hoist

OP
OP
R

richml3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have about a 3-in. body lift. From what I understand, you are right about the degree of difficulty with the installation. I also want to know if the parts I list are a decent quality as opposed to any other alternatives that may be better for reasons more than cost (more or less).

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
do you have a 3" body lift or suspension lift? if it is a body lift then i don't think you would need to spend the money on an adjustable drag link or that shim. as far as your parts list goes they all seem like good quality brand name parts. ya everything except the shim can be installed with your truck sitting on the ground. separating the axle from the leafs to install the shim is not too hard to do in the driveway but you usually need to lift the frame pretty high to do so. i have had some experience with that. it can get a bit sketchy

Attachments

• 20160820_125648.jpg
    20160820_125648.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
R

richml3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if I don't "need" the drag link or the shims you're saying my steering issues are due to the outer tie rods only? From what I understand the drag link is supposedly worn and the shims are supposed to adjust the caster angle to improve steering.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you could possibly have a worn out drag link but if you don't have any suspension lift then there is really no need for an adjustable drag link. those are for trucks with suspension liftswhich is why they are so expensive. same goes with the shim. it is only need if your truck has a suspension lift and even then you need to get the right shim for how much lift you have. if you are having steering issues other than the steering just being a bit loose side to side then there could possibly be other worn out parts in the axle like bearings