Finally getting my truck painted (a horror story)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I had terrible paint failure on my roof and lots of other bad spots on the entire body. No major body damage so I shopped around for a reputable shop that offered a warranty at a reasonable price. $2200, 4 coats of PPG black with 4 coats of clear and bed liner. 5 year warranty on paint.

Going factory gloss black without badges or pinstripes. At some point I'll black out the lights, get black nerf bars and a black grill. Then level and get black rims.

Dropped it off yesterday and may have it back next Saturday. I'll keep you all posted on the quality.

Before picsImage1475449560.991680.jpgImage1475449570.281675.jpgImage1475449579.209977.jpgImage1475449591.892988.jpgImage1475449602.751730.jpg

Sent from San Antonio, Texas

Last edited:

Masimus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same problem happening with my 03 right now. Seems like it just popped up overnight. I've always kept a good coat of wax on the truck, too. I just can't bring myself to spend 2k+ on a new paint job.

Post up some after pics when you get it back!

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Finally getting my truck painted

So I got the truck back and it looks pretty good. Still needs to be taken back for a wet sand and polish in the next couple of weeks.

There is some orange peeling and a few runs but nothing that screamed out "crap job". The shops gonna make everything right.

I'll update with pics once that's done.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I can find a whole truck paint job for that price

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
So I dropped the truck off on 10/19 for the wet sand and buff being told the truck would be ready by Saturday 10/22. But when I showed up to drop the truck the shop foreman said he was told he would have until Monday 10/24 to get it done. I didn't quibble so I said Monday was good.

My son's Explorer had some body damage so he stopped by the shop on Friday 10/21 and also checked on my truck. He didn't see it but was told 2 guys were working on it and it would be ready by Monday as promised.

Monday comes and I'm texting the owner all day about my truck and then, finally, I get a late text saying truck isn't done but will be ready Tuesday 10/25, no question.

So I show up at the shop on Tuesday 10/25 expecting to pick up my truck. [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]THEY HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED ON THE WET SAND & BUFF WORK!!!!

Now I'm pissed and talking with the shop foreman who says he can get it all done working all night. I told him to STOP and don't rush the work on my truck and gave him until Saturday 10/29 to take his time and get my truck done right.

I start texting the owner on Friday 10/28 asking when my truck would be done. He said ready by 2:30pm 10/29.

I show up at 2:30pm on the dot and the guy working the front desk says "your truck is not ready". More than that, they STILL haven't started on my truck. Talked with the owner and he told me he had to pull the foreman from my truck to work other priority (meaning more $$$ jobs). I told him that's a management problem and not something I need to be concerned with.

New delivery date is Tuesday 11/01. We'll see if they deliver.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would just take your truck from them and take it somewhere else. If they are already giving you the run around they don't deserve your business.

I hope everything works out for you but by the way they are running things I wouldn't be surprised they do a crappy job

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
So it's now 11/04 and I still don't have my truck. Gonna go by this afternoon to get it as it was supposedly ready yesterday by 5pm.

I demanded that the owner be there to walk through the final inspection of my truck however he was noncommittal on his "availability" whenever I decide to show up.

I'll let you know how it all turns out to include pictures. From what I saw, the wet sand and buff were turning out ok.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
crap still no pics, kind of like you waiting for the truck lol. Good luck

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Well you guessed it, truck still wasn't ready today when I showed up.

When I got out of my vehicle I was met by the office manager who said "you're not gonna be happy, we haven't finished your truck"!!! This was after the owner, again, telling me that it would be ready by 4pm "absolutely, no doubt about it".

Good news is that the office manager was finishing the detailing himself and promised that it would be ready at 9am tomorrow morning. Soooo, guess I'm making another trip out there tomorrow.

The paint looks good as do the blacked out lights I had them install.

Stay tuned....

Joji91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is building up nicely. Can't wait for the final result. I would ask for a partial refund for your time wasted, gas and extra down time on your truck. Good luck though!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
lol They're doing paint and buff that far apart?

We do that **** damn near the same day. Customer never leaves with their **** until it's been buffed.....

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
lol They're doing paint and buff that far apart?

We do that **** damn near the same day. Customer never leaves with their **** until it's been buffed.....

you do a cut and buff the same day a vehicle rolls out of the paint booth?

I wont even consider a cut and buff till after 24 hours and I usually try to go at least 3+ days to make sure the paint is fully cured

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
you do a cut and buff the same day a vehicle rolls out of the paint booth?

I wont even consider a cut and buff till after 24 hours and I usually try to go at least 3+ days to make sure the paint is fully cured

It's not even suggested for 3 months the chemicals in the paint take atleast that long to evaporate leaving the paint cured but waxing or anything during that period it traps the fumes in the paint making the lifespan shorter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any updates?

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
It's not even suggested for 3 months the chemicals in the paint take atleast that long to evaporate leaving the paint cured but waxing or anything during that period it traps the fumes in the paint making the lifespan shorter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exactly, the only time I will do a cut and polish early is if the paint product says it can use it, you can cut and polish within a week and be fine but definitely not wax, I didn't put anything on the paint of my truck for at least 5 months after it was painted