Air Bag Kit or Helper Springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IQRaceworks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The rear of my 04’ Ram 1500 sags quite bit when I hook up my 19ft travel trailer to the hitch….even with the load distribution bars being fully torqued down. I think some of the problem might be that my truck has been “leveled”, so the front sits a little higher than a stock truck…..witch makes the rear squat look that much worse. I’m sure some of the problem could just be that the rear springs are old, and worn out.

I’m looking for some options to stiffen the rear suspension up a little bit when I’m towing my camper and boat. From what I’ve seen…I have a few options. Either an air bag kit, or some helper springs (firestone assist springs).
Are there any other options I should look at?

What’s the best option?

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'd go with the bags. But that's just my opinion. Had them on my last 2 trucks. What I like about them over the add-a-leafs is they're adjustable and don't stiffen the ride at all. I feel it actually rides smoother when empty. Just keep 5psi in the bags when you're not towing.

EDIT: Just went back and re-read your post. I see you said assist springs, not add-a-leafs. I have no experience with their assist springs. I'd probably still go with the bags though. IMO.

Last edited:

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Bags for sure! I had bags on my Tacoma and they were great. I've ridden in trucks with helpers and it's way to stiff.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i gots both.firestones and supersprings.had the supersprings,then added a level,then needed the bags to even it out when the camper's on and never bothered to remove the supersprings.they're a progressive so they don't affect the ride without a load.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree..go with the bags. You can't adjust helper springs to suit your needs, load or unloaded rake. Bags are adjustable.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bags are the way to go. I have had 2300lbs in my bed with 90psi in the helper bags.

airdrianify99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I used helper springs before.... NVR again stiff ride

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rhett5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The rear of my 04’ Ram 1500 sags quite bit when I hook up my 19ft travel trailer to the hitch….even with the load distribution bars being fully torqued down. I think some of the problem might be that my truck has been “leveled”, so the front sits a little higher than a stock truck…..witch makes the rear squat look that much worse. I’m sure some of the problem could just be that the rear springs are old, and worn out.

I’m looking for some options to stiffen the rear suspension up a little bit when I’m towing my camper and boat. From what I’ve seen…I have a few options. Either an air bag kit, or some helper springs (firestone assist springs).
Are there any other options I should look at?

What’s the best option?

No, the problem is that you have basically car suspension on a truck with a 1500. It's designed to pull bass boats, not real loads.

Rhett5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Bags are the way to go. I have had 2300lbs in my bed with 90psi in the helper bags.

I've had 5000 Lbs in a 2005 2500 and it dropped maybe 3 inches if that from original sitting position.

We have a 2003 3500 with helpers that have had 7000+ in the bed and it did the same.

Rhett5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I used helper springs before.... NVR again stiff ride

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Helpers don't even effect ride quality until it drops to a certain point. Unless you just got the heavier duty springs, which aren't helpers.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Airbags are definitely the way to go. You can either go with double or even triple convoluted, however I personally have installed the Firestone F 9000 tapered airbags and they are extremely flexible and ride like a Cadillac. I would highly recommend getting an air gauge and toggle switch with 2 SMC Air valves with quarter inch lines would be more than enough to fill it up quick, 3 gallon air tank is what I would recommend along with that as well.