Towing with enclosed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
This past weekend, I pulled the marching band trailer to a competition and back. It's an enclosed 24' trailer that weighs in at 7,000lbs fully loaded but, we were probably a little less than that since we left some extras off the trailer. I filled up right before I got to the school. It was an 180 mile round trip and I was running 65, 70 at the most. The Virginia hills on I-95 had me downshifting often. When we got back, the EVIC said 9.8 mpg. The wife started the truck to warm up just as we wrapping up unloading and when I got in the truck, the gas light was on. So, towing almost 7000lbs on a 180 mile round trip cost a tank of gas.

Acceleration off the line was a little slow with the 3.21s and it bounced more than I liked but, other than that, it did fine.

OUMX117

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a little more data for you. I just returned from a week long trip from OKC, OK to Red River, NM and then on to Ouray Colorado towing my jeep wrangler on an open car hauler trailer and barely managed to squeak 10mpg from it. We did have a little wind to contend with from OKC to RR, and then a little wind on the way home from Ouray. 1889 miles on 185.72 gallons of fuel. 10.17mpg. The truck pulled like a champ and was even able to hold 5th gear quite a bit on the flat spots.

OP
OP
T

twokss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I made my trip. I towed the 24ft enclosed with my car inside from south jersey to Tampa Florida. On the way down I averaged around 10-10.5 mpg. On the way home I averaged 8-9. I did the trip with out sway bars but I did add slip in airbags and kept them filled around 25-26 psi. The swaying was a pain in the ass but other than that the trip went fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk