Truck starts then dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoomerRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 ram 1500 outdoorsman. today my truck started being a pain in my a$$. I would start, let me drive and then die while driving. now it starts then immediately dies. I'm thinking it's the wireless ignition node. thoughts, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Either losing spark, gas or air. Something in ignition or gas filter clogged maybe. if it was something like a sensor protecting the engine you would likely be getting a code.

OP
OP
BoomerRam

BoomerRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thank you for the idea. I will check my plugs tomorrow.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's not your plugs.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Need more info. How does it start? i.e., barely starts after cranking for 10 seconds, starts normal, etc. Also, when it dies, does it spit, buck & sputter or just cut off? If it's immediate, it's likely electrical. If it's more predictable and depends on certain factors, it's likely a fuel and/or air problem. Any codes?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

gisboro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Crankshaft position sensor will do what you are describing and wont always throw a code if at all.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
the fuel filter is new

New as in you just put it on then you started having issues? If so, I would look there first, could be defective.

OP
OP
BoomerRam

BoomerRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
new as in been on there for a little over a month with no issues.

OP
OP
BoomerRam

BoomerRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sorry I should have been more specific. I started having the typical starting issue I have read about on here with is why it led me to think the win is going out. it will start and immediately die. I got it to start and run just long enough to back it into my garage. then it died again.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try shooting it. I once had an old horse and I asked my dad what to do. He told me to shoot it... so I did. After that I had an old horse with a bullet hole in it. I'm not sure what good it did, but I'm just passing along my dads advice.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'd go through that fuel system with a fine-tooth comb first. Change filter. I know its not old, but just rule it out. Check fuel pump pressure and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

T-Revs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any possibility on codes? It'll be a big help in figurin this out before shotgun it. If it were a WIN module, you wouldnt be able to start the truck. These keys are that sensitive to them. Would even throw an error on dash saying "BAD KEY"

OP
OP
BoomerRam

BoomerRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no codes at all. no check engine, warnings, or anything else. it started with me having to turn my key very slow to basically find a sweet spot so my truck would start.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
no codes at all. no check engine, warnings, or anything else. it started with me having to turn my key very slow to basically find a sweet spot so my truck would start.

When did Ram go to using the key fobs? Do you have a regular key? A long time ago, my ex-wife's Prelude started acting funny on startup, then gradually over time the driveability fell off, and finally one day it died and wouldn't start. It ended up being the ignition switch in the column. The guy who did the work was a Honda expert and he told me it was actually a common problem on Hondas, but I imagine it could be a similar issue with other manufactures as well.

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get a fuel pressure gage and check the pressure, both with the key on and during cranking. Compaire it to the factory specs.

OP
OP
BoomerRam

BoomerRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the issue has to do with getting it to crank. when it cranks it will fire right up, no hesitation. but then immediately dies. my trunk won't just crank over when I turn the fob. I have to slowly turn my fob and hit a certain spot to even get it to crank.