Need a Crash Course in 07 1500 ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardcore1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Literally! :)

Hello new friends, I just purchased a 07 Patriot Blue Ram 1500 quad cab Laramie 4x4 with 3.92 posi rear end! :happy107:

That is the good new, The bad news is it took quite a hit in the drivers front area. From my very quick post purchase inspection it looks like it will need front fender and bumper assemblies, along with quite a few front suspension bits. At a minimum the lower control arm has snapped at the mounts and the upper control arm ball joint popped. That is what is initially visible. While all the mounting surfaces of the parts look to be in good shape, I am sure I will find more damage somewhere with closer inspection.

While I might not necessarily mod this truck just for the sake of modding, I always look at every failure as an opportunity for improvement. I am viewing this damage as an opportunity to redo the suspension and possibly get a really cool new bumper and or a better than stock look in the processes.

With that said, I am looking for help in identifying the best replacement parts and components to rebuild. Can you help to point out the best parts and vendors to use in rebuilding a vehicle with this kind of damage? Would you know of area I should inspect more carefully for less obvious damage and/or ways to test component stress?

If it helps to guide your recommendations, I plan to use this truck as a hunting and fishing rig towing a 26' power catamaran hull to destinations when not hunting some back country. :waytogo:

Attached are the starting pics for my new build.

Attachments

• MyRam1.JPG
    MyRam1.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 110
  • MyRam2.JPG
    MyRam2.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 94
  • MyRam4.JPG
    MyRam4.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 142
  • MyRam7.JPG
    MyRam7.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 84
  • MyRam9.JPG
    MyRam9.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 130

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
My truck was hit just like that but harder when I bought it. It had to have the frame pulled behind the fender. It's easily fixable though. Just look around for any stress fractures or things like that. Take a good look at your control arm mounting points. You said they looked okay but another set of eyes can't hurt. I say if you have the money to fix it go ahead and go aftermarket on stuff. If it were me I would go ahead and lift it, put new wheels and tires, and an aftermarket front bumper with leds all over it.

How many miles are on the truck by the way? I love the color.

OP
OP
H

Hardcore1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
78K on the clock one owner very well maintained. I joined the owners area from ram last night and when I was listed in the system as the owner, I got to see service the records on it. The oil was changed by the same dealership every 5K miles! I was also able to pull the build sheet. It was exactly as I would have optioned it myself if I had the chance in 07! Yes I agree too on the color its been my favorite forever, so far real happy with what I am discovering, we will see when I get it home.

Please send links to the aftermarket parts you would choose. Budget is also a concern, at least until I know for sure what I am dealing with.

Finally I was not able to get the vehicle to start. I am guessing there is some emergency fuel shut off circuit breaker somewhere that trips when the vehicle takes a hit. Would you or anyone know if an 07 has that feature and if so, where and how do I reset it? If not, any other ideas on what would cause it not to start? I checked the codes there were no codes set.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
78K on the clock one owner very well maintained. I joined the owners area from ram last night and when I was listed in the system as the owner, I got to see service the records on it. The oil was changed by the same dealership every 5K miles! I was also able to pull the build sheet. It was exactly as I would have optioned it myself if I had the chance in 07! Yes I agree too on the color its been my favorite forever, so far real happy with what I am discovering, we will see when I get it home.

Please send links to the aftermarket parts you would choose. Budget is also a concern, at least until I know for sure what I am dealing with.

Finally I was not able to get the vehicle to start. I am guessing there is some emergency fuel shut off circuit breaker somewhere that trips when the vehicle takes a hit. Would you or anyone know if an 07 has that feature and if so, where and how do I reset it? If not, any other ideas on what would cause it not to start? I checked the codes there were no codes set.
It could be any number of things, it's probably something simple like a wire disconnected.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins

Nice man. That's good that it was taken care of, minus being wrecked. Lol

No there isn't a fuel shut off on these trucks or at least not one that I know of. I'm used to seeing those on ford's mostly. Like Silverstreak said it's probably a disconnected wire or something like that. Does it have power? Does it turn over?

OP
OP
H

Hardcore1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it has power, Yes it turns over.

Anyone have any thoughts on what suspension bits to order. I am so anxious to get some parts on order and enroute.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins

Anyone have any thoughts on what suspension bits to order. I am so anxious to get some parts on order and enroute.

Can you put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if it has fuel pressure? A hit like that could knock the sending unit out of wack in the fuel tank. Also, it does have fuel correct? If it sits long enough it could be incorrect on the cluster as to if it has fuel, expecially if somebody has siphoned the fuel out with it sitting at that lot.

I wouldn't know what all it needs suspension wise without seeing better pictures or seeing it in person. Where are you located?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser

From the looks of it, it seems that you lucked out and only needs an UCA as far suspension goes... Then you need headlight, fender, fender liner, Laramie bumper and chrome bumper trim piece.

Forgot to add that you might need a leaf or two for the back, no telling how long that truck has been sitting like that, if you can get more and better pics we can go from there. Like, Derek said, make sure you have fuel pressure, that truck should have remote start on it so if you stand by the fuel door when you press it twice you should hear the fuel pump prime and then start (at least try). If you pull the fuse lid off check that all the fuses are good, I don't remember which one I blew during my modding adventures, but I got a similar result and it was a fuse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hardcore1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All good suggestions guys, That is exactly what I was thinking also for the non start. I was even thinking somebody might have sabotaged it from starting by pulling a fuse to try to keep the bid down.

As far as the suspension goes, I know I need a LCA in addition to a UCA because both of the legs on the LCA have snapped. I am also thinking the strut, tie rod ends and sway bar endlinks may have been tweaked or stressed. With that said, the reason I keep asking for parts suggestions is since I know I will need at least the LCA and UCA and my other bits are probably stressed, then I am thinking you guys might know of a complete suspension kit out there where I can just replace all the bits on both sides and come out with a better than stock setup instead of wasting money on replacing stock components now only to replace it all in the future later. get it? know of any good complete kits out there?

I will have more pics and details tomorrow. I will be picking her up and dragging her home to the jersey shore.

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
Well if it took a hit right there I would imagine the knuckle might be compromised I would suggest just getting a lift to include that and rebuild the front. Not just the control arms. If anything it'll give you peace of mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Hardcore1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if it took a hit right there I would imagine the knuckle might be compromised I would suggest just getting a lift to include that and rebuild the front. Not just the control arms. If anything it'll give you peace of mind

Good info! what do you mean by knuckle? What would be the spindle assembly in 2wd? I took a good look at the assembly in-between the UCA and LCA and I cannot see any damage but that does mean it was not stressed to I am inclined to replace it also like you said. Is there an aftermarket source? I was thinking it probably was a dealer only item.

I was also thinking it would be nice if I can find a wrecked 07 with a good front end and pull all the parts I need off it in one shot? Anyone have a lead on someone parting out one of these things? Maybe with a little bit of luck close to NJ?

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
Good info! what do you mean by knuckle? What would be the spindle assembly in 2wd? I took a good look at the assembly in-between the UCA and LCA and I cannot see any damage but that does mean it was not stressed to I am inclined to replace it also like you said. Is there an aftermarket source? I was thinking it probably was a dealer only item.

I was also thinking it would be nice if I can find a wrecked 07 with a good front end and pull all the parts I need off it in one shot? Anyone have a lead on someone parting out one of these things? Maybe with a little bit of luck close to NJ?

Yes a spindle but it's the same as a 4x4 and if you get a lift kit they typically come with some that extend the neck of it lowering the hub. However you could make sure that it does come with it. I know that RCX comes with them I'm not sure about other brands since I have a 2WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
why don't you look for a flood damaged parts truck from Texas, or Louisiana, or East coast?

OP
OP
H

Hardcore1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
why don't you look for a flood damaged parts truck from Texas, or Louisiana, or East coast?

Not a bad idea. I have been if I could find one patriot blue where I did not have to paint the parts I would go that route in a heartbeat. Know of any?

Lil Ram,I will research "RCX"

Also Can anyone recommend a winch bumper under 1K? I don't need anything fancy, just something that will bolt to the frame brackets as shown in the pictures and carry a winch. Maybe a used stock one from a power wagon? It seems like anything aftermarket I found that could carry a winch is ridiculous $$$. Whats up with that?!?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Not a bad idea. I have been if I could find one patriot blue where I did not have to paint the parts I would go that route in a heartbeat. Know of any?

Lil Ram,I will research "RCX"

Also Can anyone recommend a winch bumper under 1K? I don't need anything fancy, just something that will bolt to the frame brackets as shown in the pictures and carry a winch. Maybe a used stock one from a power wagon? It seems like anything aftermarket I found that could carry a winch is ridiculous $$$. Whats up with that?!?

All you need is winch mount, you could run the Warn Tran4mer, it's a nice set up and has options. Good luck finding and OEM Powerwagon winch, I can't even find a truck with it still in the bumper.

OP
OP
H

Hardcore1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All you need is winch mount, you could run the Warn Tran4mer, it's a nice set up and has options. Good luck finding and OEM Powerwagon winch, I can't even find a truck with it still in the bumper.

Neat product. I checked it out. Not quite what I am looking for since it works with the stock bumper. Since I have no existing bumper, nor any of the reinforcements brackets or even hardware, I am looking for something that replaces the stock bumper in its entity with a bumper that can hold a winch and is just simple black steel. Kind of like an ARB Bull Bar or this but a little less bulbous in the front and for an 07:

2013-2015 Ram 1500 KO Off Road Front Bumper Heavy Duty Replacement Winch Ready | eBay

Everything I have seen for an 07 seems like excessively big $$$ for a simple steel winch bumper.

ps. The bumper off the power wagon without the winch would work if someone upgraded. I dont really need the winch yet. Just a bumper that will accept one down the road since I will have to replace everything anyway.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Neat product. I checked it out. Not quite what I am looking for since it works with the stock bumper. Since I have no existing bumper, nor any of the reinforcements brackets or even hardware, I am looking for something that replaces the stock bumper in its entity with a bumper that can hold a winch and is just simple black steel. Kind of like an ARB Bull Bar or this but a little less bulbous in the front and for an 07:

2013-2015 Ram 1500 KO Off Road Front Bumper Heavy Duty Replacement Winch Ready | eBay

Everything I have seen for an 07 seems like excessively big $$$ for a simple steel winch bumper.

ps. The bumper off the power wagon without the winch would work if someone upgraded. I dont really need the winch yet. Just a bumper that will accept one down the road since I will have to replace everything anyway.
I thought about that after I wrote and never edited, that bumper you linked is for 4th gen trucks. Unless you just wanna use it for looks I would be weary of the cheaper bumpers.