new to diesels with question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
looking to buy a new ram 3500 tradesman, single rear wheel crew cab
how do you level the front out and what is the best way to do it. I am coming from a 1500 that used the bilsteins to level it however, I am new to the bigger trucks and diesels. just trying to gain some knowledge for when I order it in the spring
thanks

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
You can choose springs or spacers. Spacers are less expensive but springs will usually give a much better ride.

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCSB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Last edited:

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thuren makes a 2.5" Soft ride level kit for the newer trucks. But you will have to pick up a set of shocks to go along with it.

My dad is fixing to order the full Thuren soft ride kit for his 2500 Cummins.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Major Shart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I don't think it would be any different than a 1500. Spacer kit is the easiest and cheapest.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I don't think it would be any different than a 1500. Spacer kit is the easiest and cheapest.

The suspension is completely different from a 1500.... Also, the OP did ask for the best way to do it which is not with spacers. They aren't the easiest either as it takes more work to install a spacer then a leveling spring.

To answer the OP's question. Best would be a Carli system however that's complete overkill for most guys and not the route I'd recommend going for most. As the others have suggested, Thuren 2.5" progressive rate springs with a new set of shocks is going to be one of the best options you can get for a reasonable price. I would also recommend an adjustable track bar to go with to tighten up the steering, recenter the front differential, and help avoid death wobble issues.

Major Shart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
The suspension is completely different from a 1500.... Also, the OP did ask for the best way to do it which is not with spacers. They aren't the easiest either as it takes more work to install a spacer then a leveling spring.

To answer the OP's question. Best would be a Carli system however that's complete overkill for most guys and not the route I'd recommend going for most. As the others have suggested, Thuren 2.5" progressive rate springs with a new set of shocks is going to be one of the best options you can get for a reasonable price. I would also recommend an adjustable track bar to go with to tighten up the steering, recenter the front differential, and help avoid death wobble issues.

Both have springs on the front no? A leveling kit levels the front with the back, am I wrong? And yes the wording, "the best" is relative. He should specify what he means by "best". To me the best is easiest and cheapest. I mean it's a leveling kit for christ sake...:flipthebird:

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Both have springs on the front no? A leveling kit levels the front with the back, am I wrong? And yes the wording, "the best" is relative. He should specify what he means by "best". To me the best is easiest and cheapest. I mean it's a leveling kit for christ sake...:flipthebird:

A 1500 has independent front suspension with a strut assembly. Therefore A-arms, rack and pinion steering etc. A 2500/3500 has a solid axle with separate coil springs and shocks, 4-link or radius arm suspension, track bar, drag link, etc. Whole different ball game.

Easiest and cheapest can in no way be confused with best. There's a vast difference between the two in certain applications. It all depends on what you're talking about. In this case best is nowhere near cheapest but is still easier than spacers as I stated above if you want to get technical.

Major Shart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
A 1500 has independent front suspension with a strut assembly. Therefore A-arms, rack and pinion steering etc. A 2500/3500 has a solid axle with separate coil springs and shocks, 4-link or radius arm suspension, track bar, drag link, etc. Whole different ball game.

Easiest and cheapest can in no way be confused with best. There's a vast difference between the two in certain applications. It all depends on what you're talking about. In this case best is nowhere near cheapest but is still easier than spacers as I stated above if you want to get technical.

Ah ok, I still figured with as small as a leveling is it would be spacers. A spacer is a spacer?

For me, the best is the easiest and cheapest. For a leveling kit that is. Full suspension lift is different. Some people get all caught up making what should be simple very complicated. :happy107:

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah ok, I still figured with as small as a leveling is it would be spacers. A spacer is a spacer?

For me, the best is the easiest and cheapest. For a leveling kit that is. Full suspension lift is different. Some people get all caught up making what should be simple very complicated. :happy107:

Kind of is, kind of isn't. I agree that spacers can be used on a 2500/3500 in the right application. Heck, I have them on my truck to add to my lift. But that still doesn't make them the best way of doing it if there is another option. However on a 1500 spacers often lead to more issues than not as they allow the suspension to overextend because of the design of the IFS system. When the suspension overextends it can cause the ball joint to pop out of the upper A-arm which a number of guys have had issues with on the 2013+ 1500's. But that's a different story.

On the new 2500/3500's with radius arm suspension spacers aren't as simple as they used to be either. Straight spacers will cause the front coils to warp significantly. If spacers are used I highly recommend offset spacers to help limit that warp and keep the spring oriented where it should be to work properly with the radius arms.
Spacers also do often lead to a slightly rougher ride than stock and can give a few other small issues depending on the spacer brand and application. At the end of the day full leveling coils are a better option as they address the issues better and can definitely increase ride quality over stock which is a big plus in my books.

I understand where you're coming from in that. But you have to remember that a leveling kit is still a suspension lift. You're still changing the front end components and geometry and asking things to work in ways they weren't technically designed for. So there is still more to it than that. Especially if you want good quality.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I am currently running a rough country leveling kit that uses off set spacers and a HD adjustable track bar. I opted for cheap it was like $150 for the spacers and shocks. And 2 something. For the track bar. The ride is a bit rough at times but not horrible. I may try adding some bielstiens to soften the ride a little.

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Witnessed the warped coils first hand. I bought my 14 2500 with a spacer setup already installed by previous owner. They were straight spacers ,no offset.

Coils looked like ****. The dealer offered to make it right with new spacers or a coil level at a discount. I chose the coil level. Rancho was the brand they used so I went with it. Much better!

Had I been buying a kit on my own it would have been Thuren, but the Rancho does seem decent.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They are the same the way a baseball and a banana are the same.