Second fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Iv'e a thought. I do not run a spare tire in the back carrier. Mainly due to it wasn't there when I bought the truck and the dual exhaust is now in the way.
My exhaust system need to be replaced now as it's old and broken.
So... I can use that space for a fuel tank. Building a fuel tank is simple but I just got to thinking about it and how would you pump the fuel?
I'm thinking another stock pump connected in line with the original. Add one way check valves if needed.
Now if I power each pump off a two way toggle switch I can turn on one or the other as needed.
Simple. Fill both tanks. Switch on secondary and run till dry then flip the switch to main and continue on with the benefit of having a gauge till it's time to fill again.

Any ideas?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
That would work. Would be like the old Fords with dual tanks. Would need mount flanges to bolt it up and filler hose might be tricky

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
That would work. Would be like the old Fords with dual tanks. Would need mount flanges to bolt it up and filler hose might be tricky

I have a flat deck on my truck and all the hoses and tubes can be got at work. I'll probably just come out the side. Over the frame and mounted to the bottom side of the deck for the filler or make a fuel door in my deck floor.
Making mounts would be easy enough and I'd maybe tab it for a bolt on tank or maybe I could use undersling straps.
Be nice if I come up with a simple bolt on kit using factory holes.
Looks like a 28"x24"x12" tank will fit. netting me a 29 US Gallon tank. Basically doubling the fuel capacity of my 26 Gal I now have.
If I had a 35 gal factory tank plus the 29 Gal, that would be cool.

All this will fit between the frame and between the hitch and diff. Also at 12" deep it still is protected from the rear by the hitch and bumper as it will not hang lower than the hitch.
With closer measuring I may get a 29x29x12 which nets a 36.3 Gal tank. But that leaves little room around it. Be tight. But doable.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You can even get switches for this, they pass through the sending unit information for the selected tank. You could also get a round fuel gauge to mount in the pillar gauge trim pieces, that would be pretty cool.

I say do it, just make sure to add a skid plate for the tank.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
You can even get switches for this, they pass through the sending unit information for the selected tank. You could also get a round fuel gauge to mount in the pillar gauge trim pieces, that would be pretty cool.

I say do it, just make sure to add a skid plate for the tank.

Skid plate maybe. Depends on what I build it out of. If I use 20 gauge and a 1/8" skid plate. I could probably just use a 1/8" bottom on the tank. A skid plate would be simple though and add protection from debris.