Aftermarket Bluetooth On Stock Head Unit...Bad Idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RossC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys,

Just looking for a little input and advice here.

Picked up an 03 with a single cd player (no changer) and am thinking about adding an aux input and wiring up a dedicated usb power supply to be able to use this or similar Bluetooth system linked below with the OEM head unit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...7_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FRC4HBETTR0XMWXYK8H7

Primary goal is clear phone calls, secondary is easy, clean way to stream audio from my phone. I also like to keep things pretty stock looking. And If I did go this route, I would hide all the wiring, and connectors up under the dash.

My truck is my office lots of times, and I'm on the road and phone quite a bit for my job. The past several years I've driven newer vehicles with pretty good hands free/bluetooth systems and when they work well, they are great.

Couple questions for you guys...

Does this setup make sense?
Or would I be better off getting a new head unit with built in mic, etc.?
Do you have one that you would recommend for good phone audio quality?

If I go with adding the aux in to the OEM head unit, can you guys give me any advice as to what I should get? And/or a good tutorial? I've found some stuff searching the interwebs...but most of what I found talk about adding the aux to systems with a CD changer included. Any advice as to how to make this work well would be appreciated.

Thanks and a pic of the head unit is included for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_3993.jpg
    IMG_3993.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 63

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do it once, do it right.

I replaced my unit (was a cassette unit) in my 2003 with a Pioneer NEX-4100 with Apple Carplay. These units work with Apple or Android, use the GPS from the phone and give you most of the useful features of newer cars. All while charging your phone.

I did have to get a kit to fit the Double DIN:
Metra 95-6522B Dash Kit Fits select 2002-05 Dodge Ram trucks — double-DIN radios at Crutchfield.com

I bought that kit on Amazon, and brought it to my local car installer (PC Richards). With that, they had everything they needed.

Then next model is out now:
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

They did have to tweak it to fit right, since the screen on my unit is removeable:
A2943A52-EB7A-4959-B162-3A1C6C26AF4F_zpsrjzvemc0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RossC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate the input and info. Very nice of you to send that over.

That is a good clean setup.

And some amazon reviews for this and similar say good phone call quality...

Seems like about $650 if I install myself. Maybe this is the way to go? But it is about $600 more that I thought I would be spending going the other route.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I appreciate the input and info. Very nice of you to send that over.

That is a good clean setup.

And some amazon reviews for this and similar say good phone call quality...

Seems like about $650 if I install myself. Maybe this is the way to go? But it is about $600 more that I thought I would be spending going the other route.

You really do get $600 more benefit. For example a 7" GPS Screen that you never have to pay for traffic, or maps updates. You get, to use voice activation (siri for apple), and WAY better audio quality than a stock head unit.

If your truck is your office, be sure to keep the receipts and use it as a tax deduction.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would strongly recommend not adding Bluetooth and aux to your factory radio. The audio quality with most of those things is garbage.

On the other hand, you don't need to go as far as a $600+ radio to get what you want. I have one, and yes they are nice, but if all you want is a CD player with Bluetooth and aux, you can get radios these days with all that for under 100 dollars.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would strongly recommend not adding Bluetooth and aux to your factory radio. The audio quality with most of those things is garbage.

True!

On the other hand, you don't need to go as far as a $600+ radio to get what you want. I have one, and yes they are nice, but if all you want is a CD player with Bluetooth and aux, you can get radios these days with all that for under 100 dollars.

Also True! If you can afford it, these radios are nice. If not, there are other options.

I actually got my NEX installed for $499 (PC Richards with free install) + $25 for the kit on Amazon. So for me, it really wasn't $600+

Amazon 4100 new:
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-...=UTF8&qid=1478024678&sr=8-1&keywords=NEX+4100

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RossC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the input guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk