95 46RH wiring hacked...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

analog56x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
95 46RE wiring hacked...

Well, i just bought a 95 RCSB 2wd 318 auto. I drove it 5 minutes to my house and noticed that it was hesitating really bad while trying to go from a stop. I thought it was a fuel issue, but today, i was backing up, and noticed that it doesnt bog at all. I could do a burnout in reverse if i wanted to...
so i remember from my previous job about transmissions, and i have figured out that my truck, when in drive, is starting off in 3rd gear. I key on/off/on/off etc to get codes, and i have the following:
37: trans converter solenoid (this code flashed twice in a row...)
45: trans overdrive
32: egr

So i got under it and noticed that 3 wires out of my 8 wire harness are cut and folded back on themselves...
The 3 wires that arent connected are:
Violet/wht: governor pressure solenoid control
Orange: 5v supply
Red: transmission control relay output

So, i tried digging through my conduit to see where these wires were cut back to, and... they arent... those 3 wires just arent there... i traced the conduit up to the T under the wiper cowl, and there are no cut wires... i have no freaking idea where to go from here...
Im also missing a pigtail that plugs into a 2 pin sensor or something on the bottom drivers side of the transmission between the pan and the trans mount...

I will get some pictures here in a sec. I really need some help, so thank you in advance!

OP
OP
A

analog56x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are those pictures :)

Attachments

• 20161031_202848.jpg
    20161031_202848.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20161101_210119.jpg
    20161101_210119.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20161031_191757.jpg
    20161031_191757.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
A

analog56x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Upon giving myself a headache with reading, i think i figured out my problem... someone stuffed the wrong trans in this truck before i bought it... ive got the 95 ecm with the 60 pin connector, and at least 2 of the wires from my transmission are located in the second of 3 plugs on the 96 ecm... i dont suppose there is any way to make this work... it makes sense that the harness is missing those 3 wires now... they dont exist in my 95 haha... damn... now what to do...

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My best guess is that your truck was originally equipped with a 46rh (hydraulically-controlled governor) whereas now it has a 46re (electronically-controlled governor) and your OBD1 ECU either isn't configured to operate a 46re (hence the chopped off wires) or, assuming the RE was used with OBD1 computers, said transmission has a different wiring harness for an OBD1 ECU vs an OBD2 ECU, but whoever swapped the transmission in decided to hack up the wiring rather than do a proper harness swap.

Assuming the former, you might not have a choice but to swap the transmission. Assuming the latter, a new wiring harness might be your ticket.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yeah some ******* swapped in a 46re. 46rh will work in place of a 46re but not vice versa without also changing the harness and pcm.

Reason is the RE has more computer input for how it behaves and pcm is looking for specific readings. If it gets anything outside of these readings or nothing at all it'll start the vehicle in a high gear. This is done to allow it to be driven on the highway in case of emergency