fuel leak no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Can a fuel leak where the line from the lift pump connects to the top of the fuel filter/ water separator cause the truck to not start? The filter is definitely getting fuel as it is over flowing but I try to bleed the injectors and no fuel. Could air getting onto the system cause this?

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
You ran the system dry bud

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Cant bleed em. Gotta pressurize the whole system again

vgoodson91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bleeding the lines on a p pump won't do any good. It's only the vp pump on the 24 valves that requires you to bleed the air out. That mechanical lift pump has to have backside pressure to be able to push the fuel up to the injectors. Cracking the lines at the injector actually allows air back into the system on the back side and will keep the fuel from ever reaching the injectors. On the manual lift pump down on the side of the driver side of the motor there is a lever you can pump to re prime the system. It's gonna take a lot of pumps but it works. Or you can just keep cranking till it fires up. Or if you have a manual trans have someone drag you around in 3rd or 4th gear until it starts up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Bleeding the lines on a p pump won't do any good. It's only the vp pump on the 24 valves that requires you to bleed the air out. That mechanical lift pump has to have backside pressure to be able to push the fuel up to the injectors. Cracking the lines at the injector actually allows air back into the system on the back side and will keep the fuel from ever reaching the injectors. On the manual lift pump down on the side of the driver side of the motor there is a lever you can pump to re prime the system. It's gonna take a lot of pumps but it works. Or you can just keep cranking till it fires up. Or if you have a manual trans have someone drag you around in 3rd or 4th gear until it starts up.

So fix the leak and prime the hell out of it and she should start?

vgoodson91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes sir. The priming is the sucky part. That's where a manual tranny makes all the difference. Or hook a battery charger up and just crank on it for 10 seconds or so at a time until it fires. Every time the crank rotates it pumps the pump essentially doing the same thing as you pumping the prime lever

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
This is exactly why i love this forum. Great minds coming together to help one another. Now if only the president, congress, the house and the Senate could follow suit... this country could truly be great again!!

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
This is exactly why i love this forum. Great minds coming together to help one another. Now if only the president, congress, the house and the Senate could follow suit... this country could truly be great again!!

Definitely is a great forum

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Got the leak fixed and started pumping the primer. After about 75 to 100 a sound started every time I pump it that sounds almost like letting the air out of a balloon very slowly to annoy someone. Couldn't find exactly where it was coming from but sounded like somewhere between the fuel heater and injection pump. Does this mean that it is primed or what?

vgoodson91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can't say that I've ever heard that noise before. But my guess is it's primed as that would noise would mean to me that pressure is trying to escape just as it would from a balloon like you described

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Not exactly what the noise is just close to the sound, best description I could think of
I'm gonna try to start it tomorrow and see what happens

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Got it running! Thnkyou guys for all the help, just fixed the leak and primed it and it started and after a couple seconds was running great.