1985 Dodge Ram W150 won't start unless ignition on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
So I went out to start the truck today and found that it will not start. What it does do is when the ignition is in the start position, it seems to start and as long as I leave ignition in this position it runs. As soon I release, it dies. Unlik normally if you leave it in that position, I don't hear any of the normal starter grinding and whining that you might here. A Google search folks are saying a possible ignition switch or ballast resistor. What say you smart folks in this forum?

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ballast. Run side shot. Start side okay. Replace. Put spare in glove box. You now a Dodge guy. For life.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
^^^^ What this guy said.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
I thought ballast. By-passed. Still no joy. Very odd problem. Think loose wire "somewhere". Headed down electrical t/s (courtesy of my mechanic cousin). Checked for voltage front and back of fusible link, all good. Tested ballast with ignition in run position, nothing on either side. Thought maybe ground on test light wasn't makin good connection. Wiggled around. Still nothing. Tested the light by hitting pos side of battery and ****, the cab alarm began sounding, jumped in and she cranked right up. WTF!!! So. Gremlins I suppose. Old old gremlins.

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's the ignition switch.....