Horrible Squealing! Need Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AshleyR063

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
For the last month or so my truck has been making a massive squealing (like wake the neighbors loud) from under the hood. I've replaced the tensioner, idler pulley, alternator, and I'm routed around my A/C compressor pulley with a shorter belt. While the truck is off I can spin the fan freely, no friction or noise. Would the crank shaft pulley/harmonic balancer cause this? I'm at a loss, it's driving me crazy. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
did you replace the belt? try maybe to grease the belt? something is causing to much tension causing it to make noise.

I had a ford taurus a year or so ago that the alternator bearing was going out, but I put some grease on the belt every other day and it stayed quiet until I sold it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Start spraying pulleys with silicone spray or wd40 with it running until the problematic one quiets. My bet is power steering pump

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
When you have the belt off, how does the alternator feel/sound when you spin it? I doubt it has one, but if it does have California emissions, it might have an air pump. Spin it too. In fact, do this with everything that rotates. Water pump, power steering, etc.

Has your steering effort changed any? Check the fluid in the power steering pump. Also follow what has been said above about using WD-40.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
are you losing any coolant? My jeep was doing that on start up for a day or two, until I realized coolant was wetting the belt, making it slip and squeal.