5.9 starting help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B1gch1n0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought I 98 5.9 cummins turbo diesel truck. When you walk out to the truck first thing in the morning or after sitting for a while. I put the key in give it some time for flow plugs to warm up and then it fires right up really quick! Cool no problems! Now if I drive to the store turn it off shop for idk 20 min come out it takes a while of cranking to turn over. Some times does not want to run at all!? What could be the problem what do I need to do? Any help would be great thanks

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Cummins don't have glow plugs. Instead they use a grid heater but it works to do a similar function but from outside the cylinder.

Have you tried following the same procedure yout do in the mornings?

OP
OP
B

B1gch1n0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I have. I do the same procedure always. And thank you for letting me know about the grid heater. Do I still need to let warm up like glow plugs?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Both 12v and 24v Cummins will do this when the injection pump starts going bad. Moreso on the 24v with the VP-44 pumps. Keep a bottle of cold water on hand, when it has a hard start, drench the injection pump and try it again. If it starts up fine, then thats likely the culprit.

Is there a lot of smoke on startup?

OP
OP
B

B1gch1n0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Both 12v and 24v Cummins will do this when the injection pump starts going bad. Moreso on the 24v with the VP-44 pumps. Keep a bottle of cold water on hand, when it has a hard start, drench the injection pump and try it again. If it starts up fine, then thats likely the culprit.

Is there a lot of smoke on startup?

No I can't remember seeing smoke when it starts. But thank you for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio