5.7 Swap into D150 Completed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that is probably 345 at the crank. you always loose power in the slushbox unless you got a standard transmission.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is awesome. Great looking truck man

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have an eagle hemi. The gen III hemi was in the 03-08 trucks, an YES you will notice a power difference

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Finished product. Will focus on cleaning engine components and body/frame paint job in the spring. Then maybe rebuild the trans and add a gearvendor overdrive

Attachments

• IMG_20161120_151102.jpg
    IMG_20161120_151102.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 108

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you should probably just run that trans till it blows and then swap it out for a rebuilt 46RH. you can then get a gear vendor overdrive for a 46RH if you wanted but it probably wouldn't be needed since they already have overdrive but then again if you spend enough time at high speeds having the double overdrive could help on fuel

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've heard that the 727 is one of the best transmissions out there in terms of durability and simplicity, which is music to my ears. I've been told to hold onto it rather than swap a different one in. Is the 46RH better?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the 46RH is pretty much a 727 with overdrive. they are a bit more expensive to rebuild than a 727 since they have the overdrive unit but it is way cheaper than what a gear vendor unit goes for.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Since doing the swap, it seems my charging system is a bit sporadic. When I'm idling, I notice the headlights brighten, then dim in a very consistent pattern. Also, my tail lights do the same thing, and they're LED's with proper resistors. When I turn one signal on, the other one flashes as well... when no signals are turned on, they flicker in a pattern as if they're still performing their function at a reduced power. A mechanic had a voltmeter on, and it was just over 15V. From my understanding, it should be between 14.2V-14.4V. Obviously I no longer have a voltage regulator since it's controlled by the computer now, but I'm really hoping the computer isn't the culprit. I guess my only option is to try a new alternator and see if there's a change in the charging voltage and also the weird flashing lights issue?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i wouldn't worry about it if it is sitting at 15V. it is normal since one of the field wires usually shares power with all the injectors and coils. on my 93 i got a "hotwire" that i use from the 1 field wire to the alternator output when boosting people just so my alternators output voltage drops but it will out a more consistent power.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i wouldn't worry about it if it is sitting at 15V. it is normal since one of the field wires usually shares power with all the injectors and coils. on my 93 i got a "hotwire" that i use from the 1 field wire to the alternator output when boosting people just so my alternators output voltage drops but it will out a more consistent power.

Okay, so what else could cause the fluctuations? It happens even when the weather is dry. I thought maybe there was a bare wire getting wet or something but that's not the case.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't think anything else is causing the fluctuation. the computer adjust voltage output based on what it is seeing. since the field wire generally shares power with injectors and coils by the time power get to the field wires from the alternator output there is a voltage drop which the causes the computer bump up output to get the voltage that makes it happy.

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go over all your grounds., if the bed doesn't have ground strap to the frame, added it

as for both turn signals acting at one, might be a bad turn signal switch.,
My old 83 did the same thing.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the bed doesn't need a ground strap. all the lights get their ground from the harness or frame.

led lights are way more sensitive to change. i personally stopped even trying to get a decent set of led's for the exterior lights. you really don't gain anything with them.

dev199505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious how much did the swap cost? I was trying with the idea this summer in my '88

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Curious how much did the swap cost? I was trying with the idea this summer in my '88

Depends how much of a mechanic you are yourself. I'm moderately knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff, so I was able to eliminate a large portion of the labor bill by doing some work myself. Also, I spent the hours researching and hunting down parts. Mostly new, but some used. My final bill was approximately 4K. If I had no knowledge and let him do 100% of the project, probably would have been more like 6K. But on the other hand, if I was to ever do another swap, I might try to tackle it myself to make it less $. You could realistically do it for 2K if you did it yourself and really hunted for the best prices on everything.

dev199505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You think it's worth it?