Ditching the torsion bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverRAM2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 GAS
Ok guys new to the site but definetly not new to dodge. Right now my latest project is a 2002 1500 with the 5.9l gas motor. It is 4x4 and runs and drives great. I have a leveling kit on it right now and want to eventually want to go bigger. I am however concerned with how low the torsion bars drop down now and will be worse when I lift the truck. Has anyone replaced the shocks on the 3rd gen dodge with coilovers, gone with lift knuckles and got rid of the torsion bar setup? I live in Colorado and love doing more of the overlanding, Not looking to rock crawl but want bigger tires (35's) and reduce the risk of smashing down on the torsion bars and jacking up the suspension. Please feel free to comment no matter how technical it may be. I am not one to shy away from a challenge. My garage is pretty well setup and I have a full aerospace machine shop at my disposal, so lets hear it, is this do-able.

OP
OP
S

SilverRAM2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 GAS
Well have I stumped everyone here? Or is this a really easy thing that I have just seemed to not find on the internet.....lol.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well anything is doable with fabrication.

You'd need to have 06-08 parts, as that's when they switched to coil overs rather than torsion bars.

So just for a quick list off the top of my head, you'd need:
newer lower control arms
upper strut mounting cups (where the 3 nuts on top the strut bolt to the frame)
Struts from 06-08

and not to mention the fab work.

I'm sure I'm missing things, but there's a short list for you to start at.

If you're going through all the trouble, it may be worth it to look into doing a solid axle swap instead of coil overs, since the suspension would be more customize-able. It's more of a pain, but then the sky's practically the limit on lifting whereas with coil over struts, you're stuck at 6" for suspension lift unless if you've got serious cash to go full custom.