Please Help Passenger CV Inner Joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iadams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just replaced the lower ball joint and upper control on front passenger side. After a few trips to hardware store this job was pretty simple and would love to answer any questions regarding the project.

One thing I did during the project was completely remove the CV joint (by the way, this is not necessary). I tapped on the inner cv joint and it slid out pretty easily but I did not take a picture before I did that. Huge mistake. Now after everything is put back together I have a small gap between cv joint and front drive shaft (picture).

Can someone comment if this is correct or if it needs to go on further? If so, is there a tool or trick to it? Could someone post a picture of their CV joint?

After I put everything together I went for a test drive and everything seemed to be fine until I engaged 4WD. Then it was VERY stiff and didn't sound right. I removed the other wheel and drive shaft nut to make sure that the small gap on the outer shaft (in the hub) was supposed to be there and seems like that is ok.

After more review, it sounds like the clip in the middle of the splines on the shaft is all that holds the CV joint. I'm pretty confident that has been engaged so perhaps I pulled out the shaft from the differential when removing the CV joint. Does that look/sound possible?

Thank you for your time and experience. Ask any questions regarding the control arm or ball joint.

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 72

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for posting this.

It sounds like you did everything correctly.

My only question is did you grease the CVs?

destroyaYO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I am about to do this job but lower control arm bushings , sway bar link rebuild and bearings. My old one looks like that and leaking grease everywhere. My research I would just get a new cv half axle you can get a set for about 130$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

destroyaYO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I am about to do this job but lower control arm bushings , sway bar link rebuild and bearings. My old one looks like that and leaking grease everywhere. My research I would just get a new cv half axle you can get a set for about 130$

7fd17cb215e90b521f5cfdc014fdf5f0.jpg