Hazard light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
1985 Dodge Power Ram W150.

was checking lights and such in prep for inspection and discovered the hazard lights are dorked up.

1. the left rear hazard is VERY dim, can barely see it...
2. the right rear hazard doesn't flash at all
3. Both front hazards work fine...

WTH? where to start isolating? bulbs (fingers crossed), wiring?

Bruce

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
update:

After pulling everything apart, found some old crusty connections, missing one bulb all together, one was broke a little (surprised it worked at all).

Replaced all bulbs (1156 and 1157 were the model numbers I needed). brakes, backup, turn and running lights all function fine...

The hazards are still displaying the "WEAK" on left side and "NADA" on the right side. gotta be wiring up stream, I suppose.

I did discover the following (see pics) the right side lower light, has a connector with dual connections whereas the left side lower light has a single connector. the 1157 bulb (dual filament) works with that double connector light on the right, but i'm not sure its correct. additionally, right side (obviously) has 3 wires coming into it, left side only 2.

Does anybody know what it is suppose to be ?

Attachments

• IMG_5654.jpg
    IMG_5654.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
second pic

second pic

Attachments

• light connector.jpg
    light connector.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 30

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i would be looking at the ground wires where they join together. you can try running a temporary ground to them anywhere you can get a good ground. it is common for moisture to get into the ground wires where they split behind the taillights.

as far as the connector goes they most likely had a rusty socket or something and needed to replace it. i personally did that exact same thing on my truck. 1157 bulbs all around. that way i never have to keep 1156 bulbs on me for the reverse lights.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
hey woolfie,

thanks for the response (again). Let me make sure I got this right (i'm by no means familiar with the intimate wiring of this beast).

the only ones that aren't working, are the hazards which appear to be using the upper light. I'm thinking, if there was a ground issue, I would have issues with the brake, turn and running lights as well, no? all 4 light functions seem to be using only the upper light...

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
upper lights are turn signals bottom lights are reverse lights.

are you sure turn signals and marker lights are working when on together? a bad ground can cause lots of strange issues. even with a bad or week ground a light may work but be dim or have strange things happen.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
when you say marker lights, are you referring to the lights on the sides of the truck...I guess i'm not clear what you're saying on that one...

where should I start chasing a bad ground ? sounds ominous

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
NEW DEVELOPMENT:

Both hazards are flashing BUT they are exceptionally dim...cant see them unless you get right up on em to see that they're flashing...that may have been the case all along, I just didn't recognize it...DOH!!!

I checked the lights with the headlights on, brake lights pressed and turn signals engaged...all seem to work...front and back...

I don't suppose there is a relay or anything that controls those hazards is there ? haven't dug my book out yet...I have a Haynes, but man, that thing doesn't have much detail to it at all...I get more info here from you fellas...

bruce

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
I am still thinking it is a bad ground. You can even test it with test light. Ground the test light wire and just touch the metal on the light socket. The test light will most likely flash with the light if there is a bad ground.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
i'll give that a whirl...just started raining here, so will have to wait until that's over...

thanks for the responses...

dude, you're always on here answering the tuff questions...

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
no problem. i have just had lots of practice working on these things. i have seen many issues and i am pretty good with electrical. plus i am pretty sure i have dealt with that exact same issue at one point or another. it is very common to have ground related issues with how old these things are.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
NEW DEVELOPMENT:

I didn't do that test you referenced Woolfie, but what I did do, just out of curiosity, I turned the hazards on, listened for the clicking of the Flasher on the fuse panel. It was clicking away (indication its good). After that, I pulled it, cleaned it up, wiggled the wiring, put back in - STILL nothing.

I then tested the following (which I thought I had done previously, apparently no)

turned hazards on, turned left turn signal on - BANG....HAZARDS WORK GREAT
turned hazards on, turned right turn signal on - BANG....HAZARDS WORK GREAT AGAIN.

The moral of the story, don't flash without a turn DOH!!!!

naw, i'm thinking the switch, what say you Mr. Ram Expert (Woolfie) ?

Bruce

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
so is the flasher relay for the hazards click when you got the hazards switched on? when you turn the turn sign on while the hazard lights are switched on the circuits kind of cross and the hazards will use the turn signal flasher instead. i have done that in the past when the hazard flasher fails.

it don't sound like a bad switch to me yet.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
Woolfie? What ya think. Should I roll the $40 dice and change out that switch, or persue the bad ground approach. Is that switch a bear to replace? Sounds a bit extensive.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i would personally go after the ground first. all it takes is a bit of wire or a test light to test which is usually free. the switch is a bit of a pain to replace. you got to pull the steering wheel and some of the stuff behind it.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
Roger that. Will let ya know how the ground testing goes. I was reading up about replacing that switch. Jeez.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
Well, it rained too much to work on it today. But once it slacked I found another issue. With the head lamps on, the right running light functions. However, when you apply the brakes, right side rear lights all go out. I think this adds to your assessment of a bad ground "Woolfie". Just happened onto that little piece. Will try and isolate that right side ground tomorrow (if it isn't raining again).

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
yup. the thing that sucks is tracking down exactly where the bad ground connection is. there is about 4 different spots that the issue could be at unless there is any obvious broken wires.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
I'm sure I'll be asking those 4 points to check. So might as well give em too me. Obviously right at the light itself.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya. behind each tail light where the ground wires for both lights join together is 2 of the spots. it is common for moisture to get in there and corrode the wires. there i also under the truck where the ground wires for the 2 tail lights come together and i am pretty sure there should be a ground wire bolted to the frame somewhere back there or maybe that is something that i usually add. the ground wire should be white or grey.