Will Not Start after Manitanance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eastbayboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesal 24 valve
Many thanks in advance for any help!!!

I don't know much about diesel engines, but I am hoping to help my son with his. My young son has a 2001 Ram 2500 with a Cummings diesel. He has attempted to fix a tappet cover oil leak which as most probably know requires taking out quite a few parts, including the VP44 pump. Well he got it all apart repaired the leak a put it back together. The engine turns over but will not start. It looks like every thing is hooked up and no gas leaks. Any helpful incite or incantations would be greatly appreciated.

Eastbayboy

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Did he bleed and prime the fuel system before trying to start it? I'd start there, as there is no real ignition system to talk about, its simply not getting fuel. As he had to remove the injection pump, he also had to drain the diesel.

OP
OP
E

eastbayboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesal 24 valve
Dudeman2009, thanks for the input

No he did not bleed and prime the fuel system. So yesterday we did that and still no starting. The procedure used was 1) open the nut on the fuel inject pump and bump the starter until fuel comes out. Then tighten the nut. 2) Loosen the nuts on the injectors (did two at a time) and bump the starter until fuel came out then tighten the nuts.
Was this a good process??

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
In short, that should work, but the propoer procedure is to loosed the banjo bolt right next to the low pressure fuel line on the injection pump until fuel runs out. Then crank the engine until it starts in 30 second bursts with 1 minute or more cooldown between attempts. It can take up to 5 tries to get the engine to even try to start. Even though the pump may shoot some fuel from the lines, air may still be trapped when bled the way you did it.

I'd also check for voltage at the grid heater for the intake air. That grid not being powered could lead to longer than normal starting times under normal conditions.

alanack6795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L6
In short, that should work, but the propoer procedure is to loosed the banjo bolt right next to the low pressure fuel line on the injection pump until fuel runs out. Then crank the engine until it starts in 30 second bursts with 1 minute or more cooldown between attempts. It can take up to 5 tries to get the engine to even try to start. Even though the pump may shoot some fuel from the lines, air may still be trapped when bled the way you did it.

I'd also check for voltage at the grid heater for the intake air. That grid not being powered could lead to longer than normal starting times under normal conditions.

No need to crank the engine, bumping the starter will activate the electric lp, will prime the system very quickly. These engines will start well below freezing without a grid heater.

Changing the tappet cover gasket is no easy task, and is not a beginners job.

It sounds like he messed up the pump timing when he reinstalled the pump

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
That completely slipped my mind. Alanack is right. He probably didn't time it properly. All the timing marks should line up, it is entirely possible to install it far enough out that it won't even start.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 128

alanack6795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L6
Timing, compression and fuel and the engine should run to a certain degree.

The VP44 is electric and should be able to dope for bad timing, if its wayy off then the engine won't run.

Air trapped in the lines is really only a thing with old diesels with mechanical lift pumps

OP
OP
E

eastbayboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesal 24 valve
Thanks for the input. Still working the problem. My son pulled the injection pump out again and the key on the pump shaft is a bit buggered up. Also, I noticed the arrow on the top of the key was pointing towards the pump and I have seen pics showing the arrow pointing toward the end of the shaft. He did pull the key out when he first pulled the pump and it looks like he put it back in backwards.

The number on the key is 025. Talking with the local Dodge folks, they don't have an 025. Their system starts with 026 and goes up. The part number of the pump is R5019658AD with pulls up as a Mopar part. The key part number is 5013000AA.

Any ideas on getting a new key?? What is the 025 number?

alanack6795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L6
Call your local cummins dealer, those keyways are numbered for a reason

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an 01 24 valve a few years ago and I had a FASS system on it. I changed the fuel filter and water separator on it and then afterwards, got in the truck and cranked it over like an idiot. It took me days to bleed the air out to get it to start. I remember reading on several different sites which injector lines to crack open and bumping it. I remember I had to buy a new battery during all this, and had to throw my batteries on the charger because it took me so long. When I finally got it, diesel came glugging out of the injector lines I loosened. It took a really long time. The people commenting on here probably know way more than I do, I just know that it took a long time for me to bleed the air out of my system.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
The numbers on the keyway are specific.

Position keyway into pump shaft with arrow pointed to rear of pump. Also be sure 3–digit number stamped to top of keyway is same as 3–digit number stamped to injection pump data plate.

OP
OP
E

eastbayboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesal 24 valve
Gents, Thanks for all the past help. Had to take a break from the truck but we are back trying to get it working

My son pulled the injector pump out again and found the key to be a bit buggered up. So, we are looking to replace the key. The pump part # is R5019658AD and that comes up as a Mopar part number. The general part number for the key is 5013000AA. Then there are specific key part numbers where the last two zeros are replace (ex. 5013026AA). I assume the last two number equate to what is physically stamped on the key. My key has 025 stamped on it. There is no Cummins dealer in the area only a Dodge Ram dealership. The Ram dealer said there is no 5013025AA in the system.
Also there is no key number stamped on the pump itself.

My question is do the last two numbers correspond to the stamped key number or is it something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
E

eastbayboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesal 24 valve
Had to take a break for work but I am back trying to start my sons truck again with no luck as yet.

Now when I try to start the engine I am getting white smoke out of the exhaust. Is the white smoke progress???

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Smoke is something burning. Oil usually.

As far as the key goes, unless you get one of their techs that knows anything about diesels, you are talking to a brick wall. No offense to them, but they just aren't trained to know anything about them.

Sometimes the key number is stamped into the keyway on the shaft.

To get a replacement key contact Pensacola Diesel, they do full rebuilds and have the vp44 pump keys in stock. They will be able to tell you exactly where to look and how to do the install over the phone. They will also send you a new key for a decent price. Some people dont like their work, but the keys are pretty foolproof.

Just make sure you take care when installing the pump to get everything lined up properly. It may take a couple minutes of cranking to get everything running properly. Well at least on the Cummins that go in the Semis after a full rebuild.