Hazard light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
So. I ran down a different path than my original post (hazard lights not working). But after being rained out a couple days, some discussions with a buddy, a bunch of comparison (left and right side voltage presence), guess what it turned out to be WOLFIE!!!! Lol. Yes, the ground on the right side run/brake light Soviet. Couldn't see it, but the wire inside the connector was pulled from the little connector. So, bought a new one (5$), rewired and off I'm going. had to fix this to get past inspection. Going tomorrow.

Now, the hazards. Again, probably a ground, but where to begin. Know the one at the light itself is good, but I did see some shady taping and wiring under the rear end while chasing that brake light issue. Got some rewiring to do under there. Ground ground ground. Seems to be the topic of most wiring. Let me recap the symptoms of the hazards

1. Hazards on, very dim, front and back.
2. Hazards on with head lamps on - normal function
3. Hazards on, head lamps off, left or right turn signal on - normal function

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
so do the turn signal and brake lights work properly with the hazard off now or are they a bit dim also? if just the back lights were dim it could be a bad ground at the back end but hard to say where to look if the fronts are flashing dim also.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
Yes, brakes, turns and run lights all work normal with hazards off.

I retract the above about head lamps on and the hazards function. That's not the case. I cud have swore they ere. But just checked em.

Roger on the front and back dimness. But that's the case. Really dim. At night ya can see em, but day time u have to be right on top of em

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
No sir I didn't. The sockets themselves have a dual filament bulb in them. I'm not sure which filament is flashing, but in either case they are working normally (brake, rub, turn).

Shud be 12v yes? But, I'm suspecting I'm nit going to see that.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya it should be 12v. i am hoping you see the 12v and that there still might just be another weak or bad ground somewhere. with a multi meter you can try testing the resistance of the ground wire between the battery and front turn signal socket. if there is enough resistance it could cause the lights to be dim.

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
update:

After pulling everything apart, found some old crusty connections, missing one bulb all together, one was broke a little (surprised it worked at all).

Replaced all bulbs (1156 and 1157 were the model numbers I needed). brakes, backup, turn and running lights all function fine...

The hazards are still displaying the "WEAK" on left side and "NADA" on the right side. gotta be wiring up stream, I suppose.

I did discover the following (see pics) the right side lower light, has a connector with dual connections whereas the left side lower light has a single connector. the 1157 bulb (dual filament) works with that double connector light on the right, but i'm not sure its correct. additionally, right side (obviously) has 3 wires coming into it, left side only 2.

Does anybody know what it is suppose to be ?
Dodge is ODD about back up lights, especially on these trucks. When I pulld mine apart last week to do all new lamps and lenses, I found the back up lamps had dual filiment (1157) sockets from the factory with single filiment (1056) bulbs in them. BUT they worked! I ordered new sockets for all 4 due to them all being a little to a lot rusty....Oh, if you order new sockets, male SURE you get the Chrysler version which are DIFFERENT! I ordered standard 1157 plastic sockets and they arrived and the locking prongs are different and not big enough to hold them securely in the holes.