Vibration at idle only.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam/

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So after getting the truck back from the transmission shop to have the second gear band replaced I have this vibration felt through the seat and pedals. As soon as you accelerate or rev up the engine slightly it goes away. Its one of those "it didn't do this when I dropped it off" things. The transmission shop went back though but came up with no answer. They also rotated the torque converter thought all six bolt up position with no change.
Took it to a second shop, one of the techs came out and rolled under it to look around. After a quick look to make sure nothing was touching the body he told me that the motor mounts look like they have sunk as in the through bolt is really close to the upper mount housing with virtually no mount rubber showing at the top so this "Might be the cause". I have really never looked at them so I do not know what normal looks like.
So before I spend money on a "might be" I wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts or even a been there done that would be great!
There are no codes set and I already inspected the balancer to make sure it had not spun.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
yeah, that's a plausible explanation. It could also be the transmission mount back at the tailshaft/casing. Did you have the transmission mount replaced with the R&R work done on 2nd gear?

OP
OP
Adam/

Adam/

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. No they said as the second tech that the transmission mount was fine. The transmission shop to determine this removed the bolts and jacked up the rear of the trans and said it did not help.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
before i got through your entire post i was thinking "motor mounts" to myself.
these get worn out, and any load on the engine seems to "tighten" them up...so the vibration stops. this is why cars/trucks with some miles on them tend to "shake" at idle sometimes.

OP
OP
Adam/

Adam/

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply Johnny. I suppose now I should give it try to see if it fixes the problem. I suppose what held me up was I noticed the vibration when I first started my truck to drive it away from the transmission shop so i did not want to be spending monies on something if someone had a thought in a different direction. These mounts are not cheap.
This engine is to heavy to lift from the pan to change them and I do have the cross bar to support engines from above but so far can not figure out where to attach it to the engine on the left side of the engine. The right side has the loop to pull the engine to attach to. Any suggestions?

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the reply Johnny. I suppose now I should give it try to see if it fixes the problem. I suppose what held me up was I noticed the vibration when I first started my truck to drive it away from the transmission shop so i did not want to be spending monies on something if someone had a thought in a different direction. These mounts are not cheap.
This engine is to heavy to lift from the pan to change them and I do have the cross bar to support engines from above but so far can not figure out where to attach it to the engine on the left side of the engine. The right side has the loop to pull the engine to attach to. Any suggestions?

Being you arent pulling it...just holding it in place... maybe a nylon strap around the exhaust manifold and the head. Id probably pull the wheel liners. You'd be surprised what you can get at from the wheel well. Also...cant do it for long being nylon...but maybe you can start it...listen for your vibration...then put some tension on it with the crane. ..see if it goes away. Again..."tightening" the mount if its sloppy

OP
OP
Adam/

Adam/

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks but there is already a factory bracket to pull the engine on the exhaust side(right) but maybe I can use your suggestion of the nylon strap on the left wrapped around the intake. I think this is just one of those jobs you have to just dig in and figure it out as you go! After I get the mounts replaced I will let you all know if it made a difference or not.

OP
OP
Adam/

Adam/

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I got it done using the engine cradle for the right side and putting a 2x4 on the lip of the pan and lifting with a floor jack to do the left....scary! Turned out to be pretty easy job, less then 30 min per side. unfortunately it did not help with the vibration at all.....
To top it off now I got another problem which I will start a new post about...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam