No lights and truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowerRam89

Reaction score
Ram Year
1989 Power Ram and 2008 Ram Quad Cab
Engine
318 and 5.7 Hemi
Hey Everyone,
I have an '89 W150 318 auto. I've had this problem for quite a while and I have pretty much exhausted myself trying to figure this thing out. A couple months ago I hopped in and started the truck. The radio cut off, the blower blew on high and the trailer brake lit up. After a few seconds of that the blower stopped and the trailer brake light went out. I still had no radio. Drove home without any problems that I knew of. After being home a couple hours I hopped in to go somewhere and the truck wouldn't start. I have no headlights, parking lights, taillights, dome light, underhood light etc. Checked all the fuses which were all good. When I turn the key, the fuel pump pumps, the oil light and maint lights are lit. The relay just clicks. Put in a new relay. Didn't help. I pulled the battery and swapped it from my Dart, checked all the cables and connections. Still didn't help. Pulled the starter, put in a new one and still no starting. I pulled the instrument cluster and checked the wiring there since the radio still didn't work. I didn't see anything abnormal. I'm all out of ideas of where to look. I'm kinda convinced my problems are some how related, just now sure how. I recently dug out my shop manual for the truck and may do some light reading before bed. Thanks in advance for any help. Later

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
almost sounds like you have a blown fusible link or 2. they are on the drivers side fender

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
Should have voltage on both sides of that fusible link. I ran into something similar. Poke the fat wire with test light, the poked the 4 individual wires with the test light. First time I ran across a "fusible link". If you're not familiar here is a pic (one of the links has been bypassed). The links say "fusible" on them

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
I had that problem on a 76 dodge p/u . it was the fire wall connector I removed it ,cleaned it (with battery disconnected) with a small brass brush then a little dielectric grease and reassembled no problems ever again electrically
as a side note I put a 400 engine with roadrunner heads and a 750 carb I don't remember all the details but the engine was built by a speed shop in tx, IT WAS QUICK when I registered it with Mi. DMV my lic plate was SL-076 TRUCK IS GONE I STILL HAVE THE PLATE regretfully Mi. winters took their toll on the truck and the plate
brianj

OP
OP
P

PowerRam89

Reaction score
Ram Year
1989 Power Ram and 2008 Ram Quad Cab
Engine
318 and 5.7 Hemi
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the input. I have an update for you guys. I found my problem, wasn't the fusible links, but it put me in the right location to find the problem. The black 6 gauge wire that comes off the positive of the battery rubbed on the inner fender. It had been corroding for some time. It broke apart not allowing the truck to start and when it made contact with the inner fender it blew out my low beam on the headlights, the dome light, the underhood light and one taillight . Thanks for the help and it's great having my old Dodge up and running again.

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get rid of the fuseable links anyway! I do a mod to them but installing a set of fuese with holders in the same location. I use a 40A fuse for each. It has kept me from having many of the strange and now well known Dodge truck electrical problems.